Care-ih-bee-in / Cuh-rib-bee-an ??

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
How do you say it, and more importantly where would you go? Come Febtober, I am launching off into the warm clutches of the Eastern Caribbean islands in the Comanche. Here's the catch - I don't know which 3 I want to visit. I have myself leaving Fort Pierce, and heading for Providenciales, T&C for a fuel, and then on to St Croix for the first 2-3 nights. Then off to ______ for 2 nights, and then ________ for another 2 nights. Then back to St Croix and Provo for fuel and 2 nights in the Bahamas somewhere before returning to the mainland.

The thought of flying into St Barts is on my mind, but I need the required training to land there and the accomodations on St Bs are quite pricey, so maybe not.

Suggestions on where to spend a couple nights or any island that is a "must see" over the other ones?

no thoughts, since I haven't been there, but be sure to review the custom's rules and filing procedures. Ted researched a bunch of this and may know some 'order' in which to get things ready regarding your plane info, etc. Sounds like a fun trip!

Kar-a-be-an is how the locals say it.

Cayman Islands or Belize. Love them both but for different reasons.

Last edited:

Basically I think Scott is saying the first way you have it printed. I can't think of a place I wouldn't go c'ept perhaps Hati and the Dominican Republic although the DR would be cheap. If it were me I might just fly the out islands of the Bahamas. T&C can get pretty pricey as well

But the Caymans and Belize are not really within "hopping" distance of St Croix.

St. Barts and Provo are both $$$$. I don't have to tell you about the approach into the St. Barts airport. Let's say its interesting! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Dft5X5Q-Y
or
there is always this way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2o0acIlm4

There is always St. Martin. Two airports (Main and GA on the French side) Lots of places to stay and easier on your wallet. It really comes down to what you are looking for?

I realize it won't work for you but agree w/ Scott on Belize and Cayman. We go to GC every year and stay in the East End. Simply the best!

Last edited:
Been to Provo before - stayed there a week, nothing special. The *only* reason I would go into St Barts is for the approach - just to say I did it. I can generally get down and stopped in less than 1200' with the Comanche, so I am not worried. And yes, I would have the video camera rolling for the approach if I do decide on it. :)

Basically I think Scott is saying the first way you have it printed.
Nope I am saying that both ways he has it printed are wrong.

Kar-a-be-an

kar as in Car but with a softer a sound.

a as in ah

Be as in be

and an similiar to in

CAR AH BE In

Ed wants to say carE as in He cares which way to say it properly.

I thought the locals called their area Carib "kah-REEB" so therefore ought to be "kah-REEB-ee-an"?

Ed,

That looks like a fun vacation. I like to be comfortable while on vacation. I would need at least two good dependable powerplants to feel comfortable out there. You got more guts than me!:yikes:

Rick

Sounds like an awesome trip, Ed.

I have a bunch of Jepp stuff you're welcome to borrow for the trip if you want it. Send me a PM and I'll tell you about it. I also have some info on the legal bits you need to do, if you haven't started on them yet you'll want to.

As to where to go... I've never traveled there by GA, but when I went as a normal person, I enjoyed St. Lucia and St. Thomas quite a bit. The Dominican Republic was awesome, too, I'd go there for sure.

No suggestions yet, but Leslie and I are looking on heading at least down to the Bahamas in November, and likely further. We went to Jim Parker's presentation at AirVenture, where he talked about flying the Caribbean. You can find a lot of information at his site: http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com/

Also check out the Bahamas and Caribbean Pilots Guide at http://www.pilotpub.com/

Some tips:
- bring lots of cash, and in small bills. Some of the fuel stops accept only cash, and they (miraculously?) don't have change.
- Print up a stack of general declaration forms with the static stuff already filled in.
- If you plan to cross Cuba, you'll need to be on an IFR flight plan.
- If you'll be doing multiple trips with the same person, list them as crew in eAPIS so you don't need to re-enter them in the manifest each trip. (It saves crew, but not passengers. That's slated to change in the next month or two, though, where it can save everyone's information.)
- If you're going with someone else, list them as crew, because in many places crew are exempt from some of the fees. (The Bahamas is an exception, where everyone is subject to the $15 departure tax)
- bring your passport.
- Check your insurance coverage, and have a declaration page with you. Probably won't be needed, but...
- You'll need a customs decal for the plane
- They'll probably never ask to see your or the plane's radio permits
- You're required to have a life vest for everyone on board. Recommend one that you can wear in flight, preferably around your waist. The airline ones are uncomfortable.

I'm jealous. If you do the Bahama's I really liked Green Turtle Cay. Go to Nippers. I had a blast there once a long time ago. Ft. Pierce has a package where they do all the paperwork and rent you the raft too.

Make sure you call customs on your way back in addition to putting ADCUS in your flight plan (get the agents identification you speak with), stay parked in the little yellow circle until they saunter out to the airplane and play it cool. Remember when traveling internationally the only time you have to actually have to take **** for being an American is from a US Customs Agent.

We really liked Hawk's Nest on Cat Island. But I'm not going to post the web site right now, because it's setting off my virus alert. :(

I love the Dominican Republic, but I understand why many don't like it. If you are a single guy or gal (or at least single for the trip), the DR can be very fun :D. While I've been to several countries where I have seen old American guys with young hot Latinas, the DR was the first country where I saw older American, Canadian, and German women with young good looking Latin guys.

One problem people have with it is that it is underdeveloped. When I first got there I kept thinking "so this is what the Southside of Chicago would look like if it was in the tropics". But once you get over that, the people are very friendly, especially if you speak a little Spanish. If you speak no Spanish, expect to pay between 50%-100% more for almost everything. Speaking even a little Spanish will drop those rates.

The "American" food in the DR sucks. The Dominican food is great, especially if you like fried food. Lots of great plant life an some decent tourist attractions. I have some friends that love staying at the all-inclusive resorts because they are so cheap compared to other places. Personally, staying at an all-inclusive makes about as much sense to me as travelling to Europe and never leaving the hotel, but different strokes for different folks.

Unless you are staying at an all inclusive with its own water filtration system DON'T DRINK THE TAP WATER. The Dominicans don't even drink their own tap water. Probably the only downside to the Dominican Republic is that after 4 days I get bored and am ready to leave. With your schedule that won't be a problem.

Back