Cardinal Flight Operations Clinic 2012 (November 10, near Charlotte, NC)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
In early November, Guy Maher will be hosting a pilot's clinic on the C177 Cardinals. Since this is one of the aircraft I'm evaluating for purchase, I thought this would be a good opportunity for a nice "get out of town" trip and to learn more detail about this particular aircraft. I have heard and read lots of material about the C177's and to have the chance to learn more detail is something that I feel is worthwhile. Especially before I go spending lots of energy and money looking at potential purchases.

More info about the class can be found here:http://cardinalflyers.com/ops/train/_bodyframe.php?C=../../ops/train/contents.pdf

If anyone from the Texas area or PoA is thinking of attending, let me know.

I live near Guy in NC and got to ride with him when I was contemplating buying a Cardinal RG in 2000. I ended up buying an RG that December. The previous owner flew it from CT to Statesville so that I could have a pre-buy inspection by Guy's IA, Jones Barnes, at Iredell Aircare.

I took 5 hours of instruction from Guy when I bought the plane, as required by my insurance company. I later attended one of his seminars at a Cardinal Convention in July 2001. In the 7 years that I owned the Cardinal, I had another session or two of recurrent training with Guy. I found all his instruction, as well as the seminar, to be very worthwhile.

When I moved up to a 210, Guy then found a Canadian buyer for me and helped with all the paperwork and arranged a pilot to fly the plane up there.

So, I give Guy high marks for his instruction and general knowledge about Cardinals.

As a related matter, the mechanic I mentioned earlier, Jones Barnes at Iredell Aircare, is fabulous. He has maintained my 177RG and now my 210 for going on 12 years. The guy I bought the plane from was so impressed with what Jones found that his previous mechanic had missed that he said he would fly any future plane down from CT each year for its annual inspection! I believe that there is a member of this board, a Jim (can't remember the last name) with a blue 177RG in NY that does that same thing!

Wells

Wow looks great. Wish we had a Navion guy like that. SVH is only 5 miles away by air from here.

177 is a sweet flying bird.

Mike, you might see about getting some 177RG time at RFC- that plane has got to be one of the all time bargains in aircraft rental, and it is nicely equipped. You can get some time in it, see how you like it. At only $121.00/ hr wet, a steal.

Wow looks great. Wish we had a Navion guy like that. SVH is only 5 miles away by air from here.
Ron-Are you a "Navion Guy" When I got out of A&P School I worked for one of the best Navion guys in the country I think. I don't see them around much, but his shop is always full of them.

Guy did my transition training and Jones did the pre-buy for my Cardinal RG. I am very pleased with my experiences with both. In just a few hours of transition training Guy taught me things I would have taken much longer to get with a less experienced instructor. He prepared an excellent packet of information for my ground school customized for my aircraft and we went over every inch of the plane in the hangar. If I had more time in my life I'd fly down and have Jones do my annual, too.

The registration for this event is closing. Technically it is closed, but Guy and Keith from CFO have been so busy lately, they haven't pulled the registration page.

If anyone is interested, now is the time to sign up.

Back