Cardinal down near Rome, GA

Wow... looks like she stalled it at tree top level, and went in as slow as she could. Plane is relatively intact, all things considered.

Joe Williams said:
Wow... looks like she stalled it at tree top level, and went in as slow as she could. Plane is relatively intact, all things considered.

That may have been what saved them both. I was once talking with the owner of the FBO where I got my private, he is a 777 captain. we were discussing engine outs over wooded areas. Some where some one told me in such a situation "aim between the trees and let the wings take the impact to slow you down. The FBO owner said Nope, get slowed down real good and then literally land on the tops of the trees. Theory being that the branches may keep you from dropping like a rock to the ground between the trees. Your bones will still get rattled but the branches will decrease your momentum. Sounds plausible.:dunno:

AdamZ said:
...Some where some one told me in such a situation "aim between the trees and let the wings take the impact to slow you down. ...

I think the idea there is if there is a clearing that is too small to safely land in and slow to a stop, you could land in it and aim between two trees during rollout. The wings absorb the impact leaving the fuselage relatively intact. If there are no clearings, IMO the best thing to do is as your FBO manager said.

AdamZ said:
get slowed down real good and then literally land on the tops of the trees.

Meaning, you want to full stall just above the tree tops, let that full stall slow the airplane as much as possible, then drop down into the trees. If you stall too far above the trees, you'll gain speed and nose over.

Bill Jennings said:
Meaning, you want to full stall just above the tree tops, let that full stall slow the airplane as much as possible, then drop down into the trees. If you stall too far above the trees, you'll gain speed and nose over.
and be darned sure of where you are. If one wing catches a tree and the other doesn't you're in for a world of hurt. This is another example of where a blanket statement does not come close to covering the variations in scenarios. BOTH techniques should be in your bag of tricks. Use the one appropriate given the terrain and vegetation at the time.

Back