Cardiac CT scans

C

CardioCurious

A local hospital is offering these as a screening tool to the public, no Dr order required.
"$80 vs the usual $4000"

Are these
-useful?
-safe?

What kind of result to they provide ie is it:
Vague and likely to result in false positives such as
a) "You should see your cardiologist about this scan result" vs "you are ok".
or detailed and more objective;
b) "the left inferior carotid branch shows a 14% blockage which is within normal limits for your age, the anterior upper 1/3 of the left ventricle wall is 18% larger than expected for this heart shape"

Is the cost benefit there or is it a useless, boutique test?

I’ve had a primary care physician recommend it as a screening thing. Dunno anything about the level of detail they actually provide to you. Hard to imagine a downside as long as they think your name is John Doe. As far as any treatment recommendations which come from the imaging I’d be real careful. Multiple opinions prolly important.

Saved Robert Kraft's life, but I think regular visits to a doctor, healthy lifestyle and get any chest pain/discomfort checked out quickly is the way to go.

Radiologist's report will be very detailed, like "b)". The doc that explains the results to you will be more like "a)". But, if they do find something, the radiologist's report (along with a CD of all the imaging) will be what you want to take to your doctor. CT cardiac screening can, and does, find stuff. Generally, I believe most doctors will recommend some of their high risk patients get these screenings. For people not in high risk categories, it is very likely just extra radiation. No amount of radiation is good for you. ----If you really think you need a screening, maybe discuss getting whats called a "stress test" or "treadmill test" at you next physical.

----caveat---
I am not a doctor. I am the guy that does the scan (or "take the pictures"). I don't interpret the results.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back