Carbon Monoxide Detector

I still prefer the disposable dot type. I have a couple of Aeromedix detectors but I never keep up with the annual calibration. My dots and a sharpie to mark the date I opened them works better for me.

I still prefer the disposable dot type. I have a couple of Aeromedix detectors but I never keep up with the annual calibration. My dots and a sharpie to mark the date I opened them works better for me.

They are a waste of money. By the time you figure out its black, you are at the scene of the crash. Buy and active sensor and quit being a cheapskate. .... Your life depends on it.

they work fine. do you have any data to support an unmaintained “active” detector works better than the dots? and I guess you missed the part where I said I have a couple of active monitors?

I bought a Sentry ADSB receiver for Foreflight. It includes a Carbon Monoxide detector (Light and audio alarms)

I wonder if a 70db alert will be heard in a noisy cockpit with a headset.
I wouldn't rely on a audible alert in our 182 and decent headphones. Just make sure it has really obvious flashing lights.

This is what a lot of pilots are running. There was a discount/group buy going not too long ago. It was a discount code at checkout. I have one and it works very well. Sensorcon make industrial sensors, so confident that they are at the top,of the food chain as far as quality goes.

https://www.amazon.com/Tough-Waterproof-Made-USA-Monitoring/dp/B004YUEPBW
+1. We use this one as well. I think we have had it about 2yrs and a few months so probably time to get it re-calibrated and/or batter will go.

I just bought that detector and it works well, maybe too well. I found that I had to have some cabin air flow, heater or fresh, or the light would come on. I am checking for CO sources now.
Our sensorcon unit will read around 2...9 during run ups in the winter. It will read around 6...18 during run ups in the summer with a window and door open. During cruise in the winter (with heater open) it usually reads 1 or 2. During the summer I think it often reads 0 or 1 with all the fresh air being brought in.

I think the only thing that makes me wonder is the Sensorcon isn't specifically made for aviation (labeled home use). But I don't see anywhere in the literature that it is not allowed in homes above certain MSL. I mostly fly at 3500-8500 so not too worried.

Mine came from Walmart Aviation... but once flying the old girl I realized in that old bird if CO gets me a full fire would be necessary, as it has numerous “anti CO systems” built right in! So I moved mine to my living room, I’ll get one again if I ever fix all those “anti co systems” on the old gal...

Pull the cowling off every 25 hours and take a good, long look at the exhaust system tubing/gaskets/heat muff(s), and any leaks/gaps in the firewall; repair or replace as necessary. No substitute for a detector, but better to cut CO off at the source than react to it.

Back