Carbon Cub flipped at Morey, WI, both survive

One strong airplane,hope the pilot and pax recover quickly .

Carbon cub, grass strip, sounds like the plane was well within it's capabilities, I'd be interested to know the background of the pilot.

Even seasoned Cub drivers will put a Cub on it's back occasionally. A mis-timed application of brakes will lift the tail faster than some guys can recover from. That's one reason the majority of Cub drivers I know wear helmets. I've never flown PIC in a Cub without one.

Even seasoned Cub drivers will put a Cub on it's back occasionally. A mis-timed application of brakes will lift the tail faster than some guys can recover from.
And the CC11 series have toe brakes, easier to apply and more effective than the heel brakes of the Piper-built models.

Not saying that's what happened here, though. We'll have to wait to find out.

Even seasoned Cub drivers will put a Cub on it's back occasionally. A mis-timed application of brakes will lift the tail faster than some guys can recover from. That's one reason the majority of Cub drivers I know wear helmets. I've never flown PIC in a Cub without one.

What?!? Really? I can honestly say I have never worn a helmet in a Cub, and have never seen anyone wear a helmet in a Cub.

What kind of helmet?

My Cub helmet is a Gallet LH-050. I have friends that use Gentex, DC, and SportLink helmets. I just tried or order a SportLink for my Cessna but they just went out of business. Bummer. My head was nestled in the tubes in my own Cub. It would have been dangerous to fly it without a helmet.

What?!? Really? I can honestly say I have never worn a helmet in a Cub, and have never seen anyone wear a helmet in a Cub.

I used to wear one in a Super Cruiser flying pipeline, if not the turbulence on occasion would know me unconscious hitting the tubing.

I used to wear one in a Super Cruiser flying pipeline, if not the turbulence on occasion would know me unconscious hitting the tubing.

Curious, did you ever spot any concerns flying over the pipeline? Were you looking for leaks, trees down, vandals, other?

Curious, did you ever spot any concerns flying over the pipeline? Were you looking for leaks, trees down, vandals, other?

All the above, although the biggest issue I found was people digging in the right of way. One time there was an excavator digging in the right of way next to I-20 where 7 pipes run parallel:hairraise:. I landed in the pasture and asked them if they knew that there were 7 oil and gas pipes where they were digging, they didn't, they didn't even know what the markers on the fence at the end of the field were about.

You look for anything that indicates or could cause a leak. Mainline pipes you rarely see problems with, the occasional puddle forming around a valve or so. Collection fields however, yeah, not a week went by without calling in something.

Last edited:
Back