Carb Temp using E.I. FP-5L Fuel Flow Computer?

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
Have any of you guys used the Carb Temp functionality of the E.I. FP-5L fuel flow computer? If so, can you tell me how it compares to a stand-alone carb temp/ice warning instrument?

Currently overhauling the O-200 in my C150 and plan to add the FP-5L fuel flow gauge during reinstallation. My O-200 is a prolific ice maker and I've long wanted to add a carb temp indicator but have been limited by panel space. EI says it's a pretty straight forward installation but I haven't been able to find any images or documentation to see how it actually works and what all it displays.

Trying to figure out if this is a viable option. Thanks.

Jim

Aux channel will work for carb temp. I'd recommend against it. It will take you 3-4 flops of the toggle switch to see the carb temp number instead of fuel flow. There is an upper lower limit number you can program in for the in unit annunciator to flash. It's very small and doesn't capture your attention very well. It will work, but a carb temp gage is better to glance at, as icing is relative to atmospheric conditions.

Probably more money than you wanted to spend, you might consider a CGR-30 to get an engine monitor and carb temp probe.

Last edited:
Aux channel will work for carb temp. I'd recommend against it. It will take you 3-4 flops of the toggle switch to see the carb temp number instead of fuel flow. There is an upper lower limit number you can program in for the in unit annunciator to flash. It's very small and doesn't capture your attention very well. It will work, but a carb temp gage is better to glance at, as icing is relative to atmospheric conditions.

Probably more money than you wanted to spend, you might consider a CGR-30 to get an engine monitor and carb temp probe.

Thanks, NordicDave. Exactly the feedback that I was looking for!

I'd love to do the CGR-30 but I'm already broke from the OH. :)

-Jim

Worth noting, the FP-5L can be set in a mode to where it automatically scans through Flow, Remaining, Used, Time To Empty & AUX, reducing the pilot's workload to view the different functions. Simply press and hold the toggle switch until the display reads "SCN".

I have the EI FP5L. I use my AUX channel for engine rpm as my primary tach is not correct at high RPM. Conceptually, I think your use of the Aux channel for carb temp should work fine. The reason is that you can leave the display to read the carb temp continuously. You only need the info provided by the fuel flow only occasionally and the warning lights alert you to various fuel burn parameters that you set. For example, mine indicates when every 10 gallons are used, another when half fuel is used, while another warns you of a low fuel parameter. This is fine to alert you when you do not toggle the various fuel reserve info. However toggling through the fuel display can be done at anytime, but I think leaving on the Carb temp continuously will make it most useable for your purpose. And while the carb ice may occur at differing atmospheric conditions as was mentioned, I think I would probably set the warning alert light to just above 32 degrees.

Not that you necessarily have an GNS430W like I have, but my interconnection with this gives me the fuel and reserve performance to destination on this display also. And while the CGR-30 is nice, I also have a UBG16 which is probably less expensive. Since I like the aux tach function to remain on the FP5L, I had thought of adding carb temp to one of those unused channels on the UBG16.

Last edited:
Back