Landon Scarbrough
Has any one had any thoughts on getting a plug for a carb heat box

Last edited:
No, I haven’t thought about it.

What's it?

Or is that Itt?

iu

Keep dirt and bugs out

Seriously now (I know I've poked a couple frivolous posts above) ...

Not knowing what type of plane you have, or the setup for your carb heat system, there isn't a way to answer your question. Need more information.

I fly an experimental and it is set up so that all carb intake air goes through the filter. When I pull on the carb heat the cold air (exterior) inlet is blocked and the warm air is taken from a carb heat shroud (muff) mounted around an exhaust tube. There is no reasonable way to plug that opening as it is difficult to get at without removing the cowling. If you are looking for an simple plug for the air intake we would still need to know the type of plane/intake that you have.

Seriously now (I know I've poked a couple frivolous posts above) ...

Not knowing what type of plane you have, or the setup for your carb heat system, there isn't a way to answer your question. Need more information.

I fly an experimental and it is set up so that all carb intake air goes through the filter. When I pull on the carb heat the cold air (exterior) inlet is blocked and the warm air is taken from a carb heat shroud (muff) mounted around an exhaust tube. There is no reasonable way to plug that opening as it is difficult to get at without removing the cowling. If you are looking for a simple plug for the air intake we would still need to know the type of plane/intake that you have.

Ok thanks for all the responses I mean like when it is in the hangar like a cowl plug sorta thing I have a 172

Ok thanks for all the responses I mean like when it is in the hangar like a cowl plug sorta thing I have a 172
The carb heat in a Lycoming-powered 172 comes off an exhaust riser and there is no port to plug and you can't get at it anyway. In the Continental-powered airplanes, there was an inlet in the baffling right behind the cowl opening. Two of them, one for carb heat and the other for cabin heat. I wouldn't go plugging either of them, since a forgotten plug means a badly overheated muffler that will burn out and fail and cause lethal inflight problems like fire or carbon monoxide poisoning.

The airflow around those mufflers, inside their shrouds, must be maintained at all times, and the cabin and carb heat valves are designed to dump the hot air when it's not needed.

Back