Car Rental

Foxhole

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Foxhole
We are flying SW Air into Tampa (TPS). March 30th to April 7th. I tried my AOPA discount and didn't get much of a discount. I hadn't tried my EAA yet. Does anyone have any tips for renting a mid size car for a family of 4 with two adult drivers?
Thank You
Foxhole

We are flying SW Air into Tampa (TPS). March 30th to April 7th. I tried my AOPA discount and didn't get much of a discount. I hadn't tried my EAA yet. Does anyone have any tips for renting a mid size car for a family of 4 with two adult drivers?
Thank You
Foxhole

I usually try Enterprise, nothing in Florida is cheap during Spring Break! I was quoted $79.00 per night in Naples:mad2: Luckily the FBO got me a crew rate at $29.99 for a Malibu through Enterprise. If you are booking on line, clear your cookies or change computers, they will have your AOPA discount stored and likely won't show a better rate. :mad2:

If a USAA member, a decent discount is available through several providers. Just login the the USAA site and follow the clicks through their member products page.

The airline's can often get you a decent discount with their discount numbers and coupon codes. American Airlines has theirs out in the open for all to see if you wish to grab them and book direct.

For your preferred rental vedor, sign up for their "frequent user program", and add in a credit card # (note: I suggest a one time use or reloadable cc# for this). By being part of their club, you get a few dollars off of the price, and often "head of the line" service.

I used the last two suggestions for an upcoming trip to Kansas City for ScottD's weather seminar. I was able to get through Avis a Chevy Impala (considered a large car) for about $38/day, unlimited miles. And being part of their club, I occasionally get upgrades to bigger cars, and can skip the counter and be dropped right at the vehicle I'm assigned to.

Try to rent one on the SouthWest site when you are signed into your account. I have had good luck with them getting the best prices.

Also, sometimes Priceline.com has good prices on rental cars (and I am not a big fan of PriceLine, but I will acknowledge their value at times).

And, Costco has a system for their members, usually as good as any discount.

Thank You
Foxhole

When I was an AOPA member, I can't ever remember a time when the AOPA discount ever resulted in a better rate than I could get online.

I used to pick from the major chains (Budget, Alamo, Avis, National, Enterprise, etc.) but NEVER received consistent service. Like a bad hotel chain whose properties could be clean or dirty, I'd have to wait until I showed up late at night with the family and luggage in tow to find out that the line was an hour long and not moving, they didn't have the car I reserved, the only car in the class I reserved was a rolling ashtray with coffee stains all over the seats, they could only offer me an alternative if i upgraded at a rate higher than the online rate, and in at least one case, the car that was provided as the "only" alternative could not accommodate a single-child stroller in the trunk. The latter situation was a combination of all of the above, and I finally returned the keys to the (Avis) desk and walked over to Hertz. I've never looked back, despite the fact that I'm often paying more to rent from Hertz.

If I'm flying myself and going to an FBO, I usually pick a decent sized airport with corporate jet service and a decent FBO. I let the FBO arrange the car, and in some cases, make the hotel reservations. I usually get much better service and occasionally receive crew rates.

JKG

Now and then an FBO has a great rate for "crew" but as I have discovered, the office often doesn't do anything to verify, or clarify what "crew" means, other than give you their rate.

I usually go through AVIS without any other searching. I take the AAA discount. My daughter can usually find the very best rate, yet it is seldom better than what I do within five minutes of logging on the AVIS site.

Thanks for all the replies.. I never thought about a "crew" rate. I may call an FOB at TPA and see what is passable. anybody know of a good GA FBO there?

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited:
any tips for renting a mid size car for a family of 4 with two adult drivers?
Last May we did a three week driving vacation and hit most of the CA national parks (Yosemite, etc.). 2700 miles on the rental.

I have never been too interested in priceline.com because I don't want to go blind on hotels or airline departure times, but I figured that a rental is a rental and I didn't really care whose car I drove. After hunting around like you have done, I found rates that were around $40/day for what I wanted. I went on priceline, bid $25/day and immediately ended up with a National car, SFO pickup and drop. I was pretty pleased (except for wishing I had bid $20). YMMV, of course.

Hotwire: Ford Fusion for $28/day or $314 total incl tax. Comfy car, decent price.

Full size $10 more.

Thanks for all the replies.. I never thought about a "crew" rate. I may call an FOB at TPA and see what is passable. anybody know of a good GA FBO there?

Look at Hertz Local Edition locations near the airport, and take a cab over. Often much less expensive, not having to add the airport taxes onto the rental.

The downside is you have to drop off the car at the office and take a cab to the airport for departure.

I found a good deal on a car thanks to all your help.:thumbsup:
This is a great site..:yes:

Back