car brakes question - cost to fix

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi all

my car is at the dealership. it's getting the brakes fixed - they want 650 bucks for it. it's a Mercedes so I am sure there's all sorts of computer/sensor mumbo jumbo to go along with it.

does that sound normal? I don't want to take it to any Mom and Pop shop unless they know Mercedes...

Depends on what they are doing? If you're having trouble with the anti-lock/anti-skid system, you are right...take it to the dealer or someone who specializes in Benzs. If it's turning the rotors, new pads, fluid...a mom and pop that you can trust "and there is the rub" is fine. If it's $650 for that...that's a bit much...but I'm guessing the Benz dealer is getting $80 - $100 per hour shop rates? I do my own..and have been quoted $400 before.

Greg
182RG

Anything done at a Mercedes shop is significantly more money. My father-in-law has three of them and regularly complains about the prices...but has no problems going back for more later. :)

Depends on whats being done to the brakes. "Getting the brakes fixed" could mean "Having the pads changed", to "regrinding the rotors", to "replacing the hydraulic pressure chambers".

What do I think? I think that for brakes, I go to NTB or Sears or another reputable chain. For routine maintainance like Oil changes and fluid checks, I go to Jiffy Lube. For tune ups and x,000 mile inspections, THEN I go to the dealer.

Unless they're replacing the entire brake system from hydraulics to pads, $650 strikes me as high - but not very high for a Mercades dealer. Ask them WHAT they're fixing on the brakes. And if they've already done the work, and you authorized it, then you're stuck anyway...

it's rotors and pads, in the front. not sure why - the car only has 50K miles on it. plus I thought the brake sensor was supposed to tell you something was wrong? it hasn't been braking funny, it's nice and smooth. dunno.

just gotta do it I guess.

Brian, I understand your F-I-L. Sick, aren't we?

For rotors and pads, $650 seems pretty high.

But that they need work after 50k miles should not be surprising. Any decent brake shop - NTB, Mineke, Midas, Sears, Pep Boys, can do that job for less.

The brakes slow the car by applying pressure to a rotating disk (the rotor) by squeezing it with very strong stone "pads".

These are "wear and tear" items that need replacing periodically, and you generally need to regrind the rotors when you replace the pads because otherwise the pads will wear unevenly and braking will be affected.

The time to replace pads is before you need to. Brake pads are designed to wear down over time - but when they wear down too low, they do a lot worse damage than when they're replaced in a timely fashion.

Owning a Mercedes, Jaguar, some BMW's, etc., is not the same as your typical Ford/Chevy/Chrysler product. Certified Mercedes mechanics aren't as common as GM or Ford guys. I'm not sure of aftermarket parts but if it were MY Mercedes, I'd be getting OEM parts. At some point, those cars go from nice transportation to an investment in image. Let's face it: they go as fast as a $14K Kia, are as reliable as most mid-range cars, and provide similar luxuries as most mid-$20K sedans.

The lower-end C class Mercedes cost LESS than my truck did brand new. But if I pull into a valet parking with my Ford F250 Diesel and a Mercedes C230 pulls up, guess who is considered more "high class"? :D

woodstock said:
it's rotors and pads, in the front. not sure why - the car only has 50K miles on it. plus I thought the brake sensor was supposed to tell you something was wrong? it hasn't been braking funny, it's nice and smooth. dunno.

just gotta do it I guess.

Yowch. 50k and you already need new brakes? Don't drive the car like you're Bristol Speedway.:D

I'm pushing 80k on my trucks brakes, and they aren't even close to being replaced. Oh, and I do almost all town driving.

woodstock said:
Hi all

my car is at the dealership. it's getting the brakes fixed - they want 650 bucks for it. it's a Mercedes so I am sure there's all sorts of computer/sensor mumbo jumbo to go along with it.

does that sound normal? I don't want to take it to any Mom and Pop shop unless they know Mercedes...

Routine brake service, which it sounds like what they are doing does not need to be done at the dealer. There are lots of independent shops out there that are just a capable as the dealer and are usually a lot cheaper. If all they are doing is replacing pads and rotors $650.00 sounds way out of line. They are probably $20.00 per hour higher than most independents. I never hear anything good about the dealers, poor service and high prices is the norm, yet everyone returns to them. E-mail me offline with the year, make, model,
etc. and I will quote what it would cost in my shop. Prices vary a lot across the country so I do not know how much that will help though. I could just give you a professional second opinion though.
Don
30 years working on cars
Independent auto shop owner

Brian Austin said:
Owning a Mercedes, Jaguar, some BMW's, etc., is not the same as your typical Ford/Chevy/Chrysler product. Certified Mercedes mechanics aren't as common as GM or Ford guys.
I've been very satisfied with the brake work I've had done at NTB on my '96 Lexus LS400. I can't imagine them not doing equally good work on a Mercades. ;)

I once paid $800 for a Ford Taurus that had been caught in a flood. I had to buy the car to date my wife, because she refused to even sit in my beloved '72 LTD. The only major work it needed was having the brake system replaced because it was rusting out. To the point that the left front rotor actually busted off and was clanging around. I've never seen that before, a big ring of metal bouncing around the hub. I thought a piece had busted. If I'd known the whole thing was gone I might not have driven it to the shop.

In any case, I decided to have the entire brake system replaced. Cost me around a thousand dollars. The prices you are being quoted are what caused us to cross the Mercedes C class off our list of second cars, despite there being an abundance of them available for under eight grand.

woodstock said:
it's rotors and pads, in the front.

Well, depending on the model, two new rotors from the dealer could be $300+ alone. Add in some brake pads at another $100, and a couple hours labor, and $600 comes up awful quick.

not sure why - the car only has 50K miles on it. plus I thought the brake sensor was supposed to tell you something was wrong?

Well, when the brake light comes on, usually you are at the "Go change them NOW" point. I would guess they looked at them and saw that they were just about at the limit, and would need doing before the next scheduled service, so advised doing them now.

I drive a classic Jaguar XJ-S, so I understand your pain. Parts from the Dealer are consistently 3 or 4 times the price of the same part from a non-jaguar supplier. Trying to explain to the dealer that the Vaccuum Modulator for the transmission should NOT cost $173+tax gets tiring, especially as the transmission is a GM TH400 just like that fitted to thousands of GM vehicles before. The $15 part from Autozone fitted perfectly, and has been working fine now for almost a year ;)

woodstock said:
Hi all

As a retired owner operator of a string of NAPA auto parts stores I offer a suggestion, make sure you are not getting the female quote, and like an illness get a second opion and where ever the work is done ask to see the parts that were replaced. These suggestions come from 50 years in the business.

Good Luckl

Jim B.

Greebo said:
I've been very satisfied with the brake work I've had done at NTB on my '96 Lexus LS400. I can't imagine them not doing equally good work on a Mercades. ;)
Your Lexus is a Toyota underneath. Heavier frame, nicer interior but the technology is still Toyota.

Are they replacing the pads and rotors? Or are they just resurfacing the rotors? $650 sounds high if they are just "turning" the rotors.
What year/model is your mercedes?
Quentin,
Auto parts guy, GM, Ford, Daimler-Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Mercedes, Isuzu. (I wish I had that many ratings on my pilots license!!)

Some of folks are comparing apples to oranges here...

The higher-end cars will simply BE more expensive because someone was willing to pay for it in the first place. A buyer is paying for more than simple service. He/she is paying for the nicer, well lit bays, interior design of the dealership, flavored coffees at the courtesy counter, a courtesy phone, nicer waiting room furniture, and the personal service that a Mercedes owner expects.

A lot of dealerships are more expensive for just these reasons. Running a business is about passing expenses on to the customer while they are being treated so well in a pleasant environment that a profit is realized. You're not paying for a brake job, Beth. You're paying for a brake job at a Mercedes dealership.

Brian Austin said:
The lower-end C class Mercedes cost LESS than my truck did brand new. But if I pull into a valet parking with my Ford F250 Diesel and a Mercedes C230 pulls up, guess who is considered more "high class"? :D

More information needed: Are you in Laramie, WY or Greenwich, CT?

LOL! -Skip

N2212R said:
Yowch. 50k and you already need new brakes? Don't drive the car like you're Bristol Speedway.:D

I'm pushing 80k on my trucks brakes, and they aren't even close to being replaced. Oh, and I do almost all town driving.

Mercedes OEM pads are really soft, to prevent squeaks. Can't have rude noises emanating from a Benz, now can we. So they wear out really quickly. Get yourself some aftermarket sintered metallic pads and you will go a long way between pad changes. But people may hear you coming! It's all about choices.....

-Skip

I ran an estimate on Alldata on Elizabeth's car. The pads $70.00 and rotors are $50.00 each, these are dealer part list prices. Shows 1.9 hours to replace rotors and pads. I know the labor rate will be high, but wow! Hopefully they are doing more than just pads and rotors.
Don

Hi all

I PM'd Don - I'll repeat it here (thanks Don!)

it's a 2001 C240 with ALL the bells and whistles, with just shy of 50 K miles on it. garage kept, and I don't horse around with it. (someday I'll be the classic old lady car owner with a Mercedes or BMW that is 15 years old and only 35 thousand miles on it and so forth - every used car buyer's dream. hahaha).

anyway - since it is rotors as well I'm ok with it, when I first posted I thought it was only pads - I called him back before my second post.

I do value convenience/time as much as money and this dealer is a few miles from work, I get a free loaner for life (brand new Mercedes sedan/SUV, a Jag, or a Saab) and yeah, Brian, you're right - nice spiffy shop with huge plasma TV and leather sofas in the waiting room, etc etc. It's like a fancy ballroom versus a shop. the loaner alone is worth the extra cash I'm putting out I suppose. I guess I should kwit bitchin.

Joe, used under 8K, really? I've never seen a used one advertised below 20 grand, how old was it? if you get an older one you're buying all the troubles too.

now - next question. anyone have opinions about the E class, or (dare I ask) the new SLK 350?

Don Jones said:
I ran an estimate on Alldata on Elizabeth's car. The pads $70.00 and rotors are $50.00 each, these are dealer part list prices. Shows 1.9 hours to replace rotors and pads. I know the labor rate will be high, but wow! Hopefully they are doing more than just pads and rotors.
Don

170 for parts? I'll post what they charged me. guess I'll have to hang out and watch their plasma TV more often. do you think they'd mind if I brought movies along? ar ar ar

Don Jones said:
Don

Most dealers use matrix pricing on parts and labor. Retail price may be $70, however they use dealer cost plus. (cost =$45x2.7=$121.50)

woodstock said:
Hi all

snip

Joe, used under 8K, really? I've never seen a used one advertised below 20 grand, how old was it? if you get an older one you're buying all the troubles too.

now - next question. anyone have opinions about the E class, or (dare I ask) the new SLK 350?

You can find 1994-1996 C220s for under 8k. If you go up to 10K you can find 1997-1999 C230s.

We decided that while driving a Mercedes would be cool, it wouldn't be worth the money. As you pointed out, older cars by nature need more work.

Joe Williams said:
... older cars by nature need more work.
And significantly more money to repair.

A friend found a cheap Maserati is good physical condition a few years ago. Thought it would be REAL cool to say "I own a Maserati". Uh-huh. Major, major bucks to get anything done on it, not to mention the downtime while waiting for parts from Italy.

Personally, if I go old used, I look at Ford F100's with the big, old engines. Built like a tank, simple systems, no computers, no power anything (except steering on some). I can fix anything on them with basic mechanic tools and parts are still available. And, yeah, I can pick one up for less than $1,000. My last one was $750. :D

Joe Williams said:
You can find 1994-1996 C220s for under 8k. If you go up to 10K you can find 1997-1999 C230s.

We decided that while driving a Mercedes would be cool, it wouldn't be worth the money. As you pointed out, older cars by nature need more work.

you could well end up spending as much on maintenance annually as the car payment. a friend's mom had the 220, it was a turtle. you wouldn't want it anyway.

My opinion:

Status cars are like airplanes. You buy 'em, you pay the price to keep 'em running. And the older they are, the more pricy.

Wanna guess what a nice DeLorean would go for, especially today???

imQ said:
Most dealers use matrix pricing on parts and labor. Retail price may be $70, however they use dealer cost plus. (cost =$45x2.7=$121.50)

Some parts of the country maybe, around here they charge list price.
I know they gotta make a living too, so I am sure they charge whatever. Overhead in DC has gotta be high big time!
Don

wsuffa said:
My opinion:

Status cars are like airplanes. You buy 'em, you pay the price to keep 'em running. And the older they are, the more pricy.

Wanna guess what a nice DeLorean would go for, especially today???

Except, most airplanes go up in value. Buy that $50k MB, and 5 years later, its worth $20k. Hey, where'd my $30k go???

I used to own and enjoy MB and BMW, they do drive nice, very sublime. But, I'm presently enjoying owning my plain old Fords. They don't drive as nice, but are just as (if not more) reliable than the Germans. Door ding or scratch, who cares?

I also enjoy the anit-snob appeal.

Don Jones said:
Some parts of the country maybe, around here they charge list price.
I know they gotta make a living too, so I am sure they charge whatever. Overhead in DC has gotta be high big time!
Don

you oughta see their new service bay. it's GORGEOUS!! not sure if the below has a picture but it sure is spiffy.

http://www.hbloftysons.com/

Bill Jennings said:
Except, most airplanes go up in value. Buy that $50k MB, and 5 years later, its worth $20k. Hey, where'd my $30k go???
Same thing happens with new planes, though. There is a drop in value for a while (depending on model) before they go back up. Even then, when adjusted for inflation, it takes a while before the plane regains its full value.

Brian Austin said:
Same thing happens with new planes, though. There is a drop in value for a while (depending on model) before they go back up. Even then, when adjusted for inflation, it takes a while before the plane regains its full value.

my little ol' 30 yr old 172L (renter) is likely worth about 60-70K now. then again, it's got a ton of new parts in it.

woodstock said:
my little ol' 30 yr old 172L (renter) is likely worth about 60-70K now. then again, it's got a ton of new parts in it.
Buy a new 172SP and try to resell it for more than you paid for it in two years. You'll get funny looks on top of a plane that doesn't move. Ten years from now, you might get what you paid for it, though.

Brian Austin said:
Buy a new 172SP and try to resell it for more than you paid for it in two years. You'll get funny looks on top of a plane that doesn't move. Ten years from now, you might get what you paid for it, though.

what would a 2 year old SP go for now?

woodstock said:
what would a 2 year old SP go for now?

ASO shows two 2003 SPs for sale, one listed for $158K and the other for $164K. The 2002s seem to be in the vicinity of $150K. I've seen 2000 and 2001s for around $100K.

Brian Austin said:

I was assuming buying a used airplane, sorry for not being specific. As you say, you want one after it's value has bottomed out.

Bill Jennings said:
I was assuming buying a used airplane, sorry for not being specific. As you say, you want one after it's value has bottomed out.
Ah, we had been talking new cars losing their value. I assumed you were talking new planes, too.

Back