Car battery frustration.

jasc15

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Joe
My battery has been acting up, so I went after work today to buy a new one. I know my way around a car well enough, and replacing a battery is not something I would expect to give me trouble. That is until I take out the old one, put in the new one and the terminals are in the opposite locations and the leads are so short and constrained that they cant reach the new terminals. I'm irritated. I'm wondering how Sears would have installed it without using some extension. :mad2:

nope. the terminals are on one edge of the battery, and the leads wont reach. the positive lead is a right angle terminal, and it sits along the top and side of the battery.

I'm glad sears has competent people who ask me what model my car is so they can give me the wrong battery.

I'm glad sears has competent people who ask me what model my car is so they can sell me the wrong battery.

FTFY.

If I don't have the battery with me, I have learned to make a detailed diagram of dimensions, specs and configuration prior to buying one at the store. Especially those for the bikes and 4-wheelers.

It's not always the store clerk's fault. I bought a new motorcycle battery from Advance Auto Parts and it was incorrectly called out in their computer system. They didn't have what I needed. Had to go to Honda for it. Ouch!

Joe, you must have a Ford. They got their batteries engineered by the Mfrs reversed to minimize wire runs. When my wife's Fusion battery died, the replacement we got was the ONLY battery in town.

The battery you need has a suffix "F".

My battery has been acting up, so I went after work today to buy a new one. I know my way around a car well enough, and replacing a battery is not something I would expect to give me trouble. That is until I take out the old one, put in the new one and the terminals are in the opposite locations and the leads are so short and constrained that they cant reach the new terminals. I'm irritated. I'm wondering how Sears would have installed it without using some extension. :mad2:

They would have used the correct battery make/model designed to fit your car.
Not just the cheapest battery available. :dunno:

I'm glad sears has competent people who ask me what model my car is so they can give me the wrong battery.

I never ask any store to figure out what kind of part I need, they get it wrong half the time. Even though it might take more time I recommend you do it yourself.

Joe, you must have a Ford. They got their batteries engineered by the Mfrs reversed to minimize wire runs. When my wife's Fusion battery died, the replacement we got was the ONLY battery in town.

Worse -- Mine is a Miata and they only use Glass Mat batteries specifically designed for Miatas ---- meaning: They have to be special ordered from the dealer --- they aren't sold in battery shops (but my last one lasted 10 years before I had to replace it. Never got 1/2 that mileage with a Diehard)

Back