Captain Jason’s Leaseback Advice:

In which case you'll be pleased to know that you are one of the few who figured it out so quickly and who escaped relatively undamaged. :D Congrats!

What I'm getting at is that it appears that you are making money month to month after expenses and all, and yes, you will take home a nice check, but in reality that money that you take home becomes an unrealized loss. If your plane flies a lot, that's great, but considering how much a plane depreciates based on that usage and the extra wear and tear, and the reputation that a high time airframe/engine is a bad thing and further lowers resale value, you're really not making any money.

I was fortunate enough to be partnered up with a honest flight school and a decent owner at the school. It's just not what it was cut out to be because the real expenses are the ones you don't see until after 1200 hours was put on your airframe and engine.

Too damn many clever people who think of other people's airplanes as toys to be used as they see fit. Nobody respects a rental vehicle, nobody.

I, for one, haven't ever treated an airplane disrespectfully. I appreciate the engineering and manufacturing process too much to do that. But, I guess there are lunkheads out there that don't respect anything.:dunno:

I treat rental cars well. I treat rental airplanes well.

It's a machine and doesn't know the difference, but while it's at my service I want it to function reliably and look the part.

Re: Lease Back

I wonder whatever happened to "he who's name must not be spoken"?

Re: Lease Back

"Executive Office Professional"... Bwahahha.

I'll refrain saying what that translated to in my head.

Hey Whirlwind,
Many thanks for sharing this advice list. Found so many things which I have to improve personally.

Good advice, but here's some additional business strategy.

The key as pointed out is getting a decent number of rental hours in a month.
The key to doing that is AVAILABILITY. First off, if the plane isn't available it obviously isn't flying. Second, airplanes that are frequently unavailable rapidly become the last ones that people want to reserve/get checked out in/etc,....
There are two keys to availability. One is making sure you have a handle on maintenance. Get that thing in for it's oil changes/100Hours promptly and scheduled at times when nobody wants to fly it. Don't defer the little stuff until it becomes a problem that can ground the aircraft. Be willing to eat a little ferry time money if that's necessary to accomplish this.

Second, and this goes back to a number of points above. This plane is a business, NOT YOUR PERSONAL AIRCRAFT. You get in line behind all the paying customers to use it and don't block it out for your own use during peak flying times.

I've been on both sides of leasebacks over the years (both as an airplane owner and also as an agent of the flying clubs leasing aircraft).
This post is quite old, but I am looking to do at least one leaseback as an investment. I won’t be using the plane at all for personal use. Did you see any aircraft owners come out on the plus side of a leaseback with the flying club? I’m looking at this as a long term investor and my only goal is to reinvest any profits I earn into either another plane or cash out and sell the plane (asset) once I have made 100% Roi.

This post is quite old, but I am looking to do at least one leaseback as an investment. I won’t be using the plane at all for personal use. Did you see any aircraft owners come out on the plus side of a leaseback with the flying club? I’m looking at this as a long term investor and my only goal is to reinvest any profits I earn into either another plane or cash out and sell the plane (asset) once I have made 100% Roi.

A lease back is always a losing proposition. You will soon be separated from your money.

Back