Captain Dennis Fitch

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
I think most of you know that in my opinion the true hero of the United Airlines Flight 232 (Sioux City, IA, 1989) was Captain Dennis Fitch. He was the training instructor that was deadheading on the flight and was the one actually "flying" the airplane with the throttles.

I am sad to report that Dennis succumbed to cancer this last Sunday, May 6. Rest in Peace, Denny.

He was truly a class act.

I think most of you know that in my opinion the true hero of the United Airlines Flight 232 (Sioux City, IA, 1989) was Captain Dennis Fitch. He was the training instructor that was deadheading on the flight and was the one actually "flying" the airplane with the throttles.

I am sad to report that Dennis succumbed to cancer this last Sunday, May 6. Rest in Peace, Denny.

He was truly a class act.

RIP. He and the rest of that crew did a great job considering McDonnell-Douglas said that aircraft was "unflyable" in the condition it found itself in.

I still chuckle thinking about Al Haynes saying one thing he remembers in "slow mo" after the aircraft hit and the nose came off and went sliding through the cornfield and he could see corn stalks bashing at and sliding past his window was, "Wow, they really do grow it that high here in Iowa."

That and his other comment from his safety briefing where he said he looked over and saw the FO had full control deflection in and nothing was happening, and, as he puts it, he said the dumbest four words of his career:

"I have the aircraft."

:)

RIP Dennis.

Well, it looks like he bought himself 23 years and whatever he got the other survivors with a hell of a "pull it of of your arse" maneuver pulled off.

That is sad news. True great. He will live on in CRM training classes forever (I hope). He is my role model that I aspire to be in the cockpit.

RIP.

Very sorry to hear this news. He was a true hero and inspiration to many.

Greg, you have often spoken of your recognition of Captain Fitch, and with good cause. Let us include him in our toasts next month at Gaston's, shall we?

Very very fortunate for the survivors, that Captain Fitch was aboard. Very few have the level headedness such that where there is no checklist, one reverts succesfully to first principles, and organizes the effort.

Part 6 of 6:

The above video in its entirety was shown at our CAP Squadron meeting tonight.

In memorial, RIP Capt. Fitch.

Ladies and gentlemen, we've shut down the number 2 engine. We'll be a little late arriving in Chicago.

As a cadet in the CAP years ago, I had the opportunity to attend a seminar he put on about the incident. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember him. RIP.

I hadn't heard the story of his rehab until I saw the video. Determination. Great story.

Back