Captain Announcement

That hasn't really sunk in either.

True, but it bores them enough that they learn how to text message really well. A friend's daughter hit 3000 texts before they noticed the bill, halfway through the month.

True, but it bores them enough that they learn how to text message really well. A friend's daughter hit 3000 texts before they noticed the bill, halfway through the month.

People get plans that aren't unlimited talk/text? Metro PCS in your area?

People get plans that aren't unlimited talk/text? Metro PCS in your area?

Wow... Must be a Florida thing. :)

'Round here, I'm paying Verizon over $200/mo for the privilege of two iPhones, and a 4G iPad. It doesn't come with unlimited anything.

Well, wait... I take that back... it does include unlimited talk on this gadget...

http://www.verizonwireless.com/home-phone-connect.shtml

Which is a damn useful little box. I guess in theory I could pick it up and throw it in the Yukon and drive down the road with a corded phone plugged into it.

Now that'd be funny!

But why I really have it is that we can literally grab it and take it somewhere with a cheap corded phone and our home line moves wherever we go as long as there's VZ coverage, and VZ is the tower/coverage King by a significant margin out West here.

Has come in useful for various communications events too... just throw the thing on the radio desk with a corded phone and publish the number. Runs for quite a while without power off it's internal lithium ion battery, too.

I'm slowly working on a little mini Asterisk PBX that runs off of 12VDC and has a couple of Ethernet powered VoIP phones and a couple of cordless phones hanging off of it. Trying to design it small in a little go-box, and either this device or an upstream IP connection to a VoIP provider, or an already available analog POTS line will be the upstream "trunk".

You wouldn't believe how happy emergency management folks are when you hand them a cordless phone that works when everything else is down and you tell them they don't have to mess with passing messages via the radio operators... just dial whoever you need.

Pair that box up with satellite IP and set the buffers right, and it'll work with some voice delay and echo if the echo cancellers aren't done well at the carrier upstream. Most are DSP based and handle crap-tons of delay these days unless you're calling overseas.

But anyway, I pay just about 4x the cost of my business-class cable modem with five static IP addresses, for two of us and our mobile Apple toys.

Company pays for a data stick from Sprint also, no idea if it's unlimited. I just use it for on-call work along with firing up SkypeOut if I need to make an appearance on a conference call for troubleshooting or just waiting around on a vendor or customer to fix something in their network, and I never see the bill on it.

(Just as it should be... They want me 24/7, they buy the mobile bandwidth and pay the bill.)

Sprint makes a big deal out of their 4G (WiMax) data network... I've only ever seen the thing connect to 4G once, ever. I think Sprint was used to be ultra-cheap, and around here they generally suck. iPad 3 hotspot sharing is my backup for the stick. Or just use the iPad and the company VPN client on my own 4G dime of it's something quick and easy.

Luckily, SSH command line work doesn't require much more than modem speeds. ;) vi can be a bit of a pain on a touchscreen keyboard, though. :)

Captain, you are rapidly becoming one of the more interesting contributors to this site. however, announcing that you are making the attempt to stop posting while you are loaded, or heading that direction, is probably setting yourself up for failure in actually accomplishing that.

In other words, if you simply make a pact with yourself, rather than going public, to stop indulging in certain behaviors while drinking, such as going on line, or calling friends and family, or whatever you are doing that makes you less than proud when your sober, you might, in time, find yourself not drinking as often as you now are.

Booze is an insidious drug in that it sets you up for failure. You do embarrassing or stupid things while your on it, then you remember the embarrassing and stupid things you did when your off it. So you medicate yourself with the drug, so you can forget the stupid crap you did while you were on it.

It is like a dog chasing its own tail, you get nowhere. If you didn't do stupid things, you probably wouldn't need a drink. If you wern't such a failure, you probably wouldn't need a drink, would you?

So....if nobody knows you failed in your effort to not post while your drinking, it stands to reason that your not a fallure, you just had a minor personal setback, so you won't need a drink to medicate yourself.

They say you should never drink alone, to me, that's ridicules. If you never get drunk in public, you never will feel embarrassed to the point you need a drink to forget what you did the night before. Drink as much as you want in public, but never get drunk in public.

Your not an alcoholic, so why are you setting yourself up to become one? Keep your attempts to yourself until you know you can do it for sure.

-John

"the worst you feel about yourself after a night of heavy drinking the more fun you probably had."

this from a good old friend that knows how to party.

I was at Borrego Valley airport a year or so ago, no Verison coverage at all. I was at 8,500' slightly west of Lake Havasu in AZ and my Verizon Phone rang. It was my flight instructor in San Diego wanting to know if I wanted to go flying.

I wasn't drinking. I don't drink. As y'all can probably tell by now, been there, done that. Drunks make crappy pilots, horrible conversationalists, and contrary to their own opinion, even worse lovers. The only person who wants to do it with a drunk, is another drunk. Actually, nobody wants to do anything with a drunk, unless they themselves are also drunk. Drunks love company. It's been over thirty years since I did that dance. I don't miss it a bit.

Wait, I take that back. On Christmas eve, late at night, the fireplace burning low, a cup of coffee and a snifter of brandy, while your waiting to see if there really is a Santa Clause, nothing quite beats that quite time by yourself.

Now I just go to bed. There is no Santa Clause.

-John

Back