Cape May, NJ

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
My oldest son left yesterday for the USCG basic training in Cape May, his graduation will be sometime in late October, so we will be flying out. Anyone know of a good and reasonable place to stay? Most likely it will be out one day, home the next.

My oldest son left yesterday for the USCG basic training in Cape May, his graduation will be sometime in late October, so we will be flying out. Anyone know of a good and reasonable place to stay? Most likely it will be out one day, home the next.

Dean,

I was just there a few weeks ago, but stayed at a B&B that was not inexpensive. There are many in downtown Cape May. Its worth the experience, IMHO to experience the victorian/historic part of this area. Fly into KWWD which is about 10 - 15 minutes from town.

Dean, Anthony is right on target on this one. You will be able to find very affordable lodging in Cape May in October. I also recommend one of the victorian B&Bs

Cape May's B&Bs are definitely nice. I have stayed there and enjoyed their feel and location to downtown. Highly recommended.

Drive 15 minutes to Wildwood, after the "season" you can get ocean front (On the boardwalk)hotels for less than 75 a night. If you wish, PM me. I can give you specific ones to call.

I just relocated to Raleigh (NC) after living in Wildwood for 3 years and have friends that own Hotels/ Motels there. The B$B's in Cape May proper are nice,
but expensive, most close down for the winter after the tourists leave.

Please forward my sincere thanks to your Son for his service!!!!
Regards, KD

Maybe after the season.......(Wildwood)

Went there with my wife last summer to find a nice place to eat. As kids, each of our families spent weeks there at the shore. We parked at the convention center and ended up making a round trip on the tram car, then left! The boardwalk was dirty, way over crowded and there were enough wanna be gang members everywhere to make life miserable for young family's.

We headed back to Cape May and enjoyed the quiet time. There are plenty of good places to eat in Cape May with out all that crowd or the headache.

Last edited:
Maybe after the season.......

Went there with my wife last summer to find a nice place to eat. As kids, each of our families spent weeks there at the shore. We parked at the convention center and ended up making a round trip on the tram car, then left! The boardwalk was dirty, way over crowded and there were enough wanna be gang members everywhere to make life miserable for young
family's.

I assume you're talking about Wildwood. Yeah, its gotten pretty bad, from what I hear. Cape May is nice though.

I was born and raised in the Cape. I moved away in 2001 but I still visit friends and family several times a year. Wildwood is a four letter word, stay out of it. Wildwood Crest (the south end of Wildwood basically) is nice and hotels there will be cheap after the season.

Accomodations:
There are a ton of B&Bs in Cape May. Personally I wouldn't stay in any of them because it's like paying to be a guest in the house of someone you don't know and I don't like having to share a bathroom with strangers. There are a few hotels and motels in Cape May. The Atlas and The Grand both are right on the water and probably the closest to the Coast Guard Base.

Dining:
The Lobster House is where all the tourists go for the 'Cape May dining experience'. It's not bad but never really lived up the hype for me. Other places in Cape May (410 Bank St, The Water's Edge, The Mad Batter) offer a far better dining experience if you're into gormet stuff although they don't have the emphasis on seafood that the Lobster House does.

Airports:
WWD is the only game in town. There actually is a runway right at the Coast Guard base but if you land on it, you'll have some splainin' to do. Last I was there a few years ago, the FBO at WWD had changed hands the new owner was putting money in making improvements and offering more and better services. You'll definately want to call ahead pre-book a rental car if there's anyone there doing that these days.

Cape May is nice in the fall. Most of the tourists have left but most of the town won't have closed down for the winter yet.

Wildwood is a four letter word, stay out of it. Wildwood Crest (the south end of Wildwood basically) is nice and hotels there will be cheap after the season.

I grew up every summer in Wildwood Crest. Used to walk to the Coast Guard base on the beach.

Back