CAP sailplanes

Layton's

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lee
Why does the Civil Air Patrol have sailplanes? I saw two today. One is N2474W and is registered to CAP. Seems like an odd way to do SAR. Lee

Emergency Services, such as SAR, are only part of the CAP's mission. The other two are aerospace education and the many, many cadet programs. Including soaring (which BTW is part of the freshman curriculum at the US Air Force Academy).

Last edited:
CAP has sail planes out at Los Alamitos AAF is Orange County. I asked them about them one time and they said it teaches a different type of flying and they also use it for young eagles and such. I think its mire just because no one else really does.

Why does the Civil Air Patrol have sailplanes? I saw two today. One is N2474W and is registered to CAP. Seems like an odd way to do SAR. Lee
SAR is not the largest part of CAP - cadet and aerospace education are much bigger activities, they just don't get much publicity. SAR is a subset of Emergency Services. In 2020 ES also included all the covid-19 support during the year - picking up/delivering PPEs (by car and airplane), photo shoots of environmental damage (fires, floods, windstorms) as well as finding people. And yes, CAP also flies drones as part of ES.

I’m 53 and flew gliders with CAP when I was 16 with Mr Hartshorne...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back