Canyonlands Flight

stagecoachco

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Tony B
I spent the Columbus Day weekend in Moab. The first three days I spent 4 wheeling in my Toyota FJ Cruiser (modified). We went on several cool trails that I had not been on before. Here is picture of my FJ at the Top Of The World:
Top-of-word-P1Email.jpg

Then on Monday, I got checked out in the 172 owned by Redtail Aviation at Cayonlands Field (CNY). I then took two friends up for a scenic flight around Canyonlands National Park. It was a perfect day weather wise. Once the plane was trimmed, it was hands off flying. I was really happy for the weather as one of my passengers was actually pretty nervous about flying in one of "those small planes". As we came back towards Moab, we started getting into some thermal turb. I climbed us up to 8300' and the air was smooth again.

Here are some pictures from the flight

Unknown Formation
PA130340.jpg

Confluence of the Green and the Colorado Rivers
PA130342.jpg

PA130344.jpg

The Maze (aptly named) District
PA130345.jpg

PA130346.jpg

PA130347.jpg

Cool bend in the Colorado River
PA130353.jpg

Start of Lockhart Basin Trail. We drove this trail on Saturday. You can see where the trail goes up the drainage in the center of the picture. You can see where it then comes out near the base of the cliffs and goes to the right in the picture. Going up the drainage was the crux of the trail and took about 1.5 hours to get three trucks through
PA130356.jpg

Moab with the LaSal Mtns in the background
PA130363.jpg

Poison Spider Trail. I have run this trail several times. Look for the black streaks in the slickrock. Near the top of the picture you can see three trucks. They are at an obstacle called the Wedgie.
PA130360.jpg

Gold Bar Rim. This is the rim north of Moab.
PA130364.jpg

Here is a poor quality video of parts of the flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1sAj1QtxWY

All in all it was a great flight.

Last edited:
Nice pictures Tony, thanks for sharing.
Put a smile on my face, we flew there and saw a lot of that in 07, I liked it way better than the grand canyon.

Best place I've ever flown. Love the photos. Glad you got to do that flight too.

Those are amazing pictures. I would love to see that area someday!

So, since I haven't finished my write-up and posting of my pics yet... Arizona folks, THIS is why I didn't come to visit you. Had to see Utah from the air. It's absolutely beautiful. :yes:

I really like that part of the country. A number of years ago I went on a 3-week backpacking trip in that area.

Boy, that musta totally sucked... sorry you didn't have any fun.

:wink2:

Awesome country... it's like the "sandbox of the gods". :D

Great photos...

But you have to wonder, when looking at them, what the first settelers heading west thought when they saw that in front of them. It is a wonder we ever found California.

Back