Cant send mail out when traveling

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
My f.i.l. is here and the internet works great but when he sends email from this laptop the msg below appears. Any ideas?
It works just fine at home.
Thanks

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop-server.austin.rr.com', Server: 'smtp-server.austin.rr.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Cannot connect to SMTP server 71.74.56.22 (71.74.56.22:25), connect error 10060', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

Your ISP will not allow outbound SMTP to anything but their own SMTP servers. This is an antispam measure often seen.

You need to set the laptop mail program to use the same outgoing mail server as other computers on that network.

Example - I have Verizon FIOS and my own metzair.com mail server. my incoming mail server is mail.metzair.com, but my OUTGOING mail server is outgoing.verizon.net, because Verizon will not allow outgoing SMTP to anything other than it's own email servers.

I ran into the same thing at times when I had a laptop in the car on a T-Mobile aircard. The funny thing is, sometimes it would go through and sometimes it would not.

It is common for e-mail providers to provide SMTP service on alternative ports to get around ISPs doing silly things like that.

Get a Gmail account. You can use their SMTP server for outgoing mail and your current ISP's POP server for incoming mail. Works for me regardless of where I connect.

The popular cPanel server administration software used by a lot of hosting companies (and probably other server software, as well) allows the option to run a second instance of SMTP on Port 26 by simply ticking a check box. I routinely enable this option to allow my clients who travel to use my SMTP servers regardless of how they happen to be connecting to the Internet, because many ISPs block Port 25 for all except their own SMTP servers and/or require account authentication.

-Rich

Back