Can't remember how I answered last medical questionaire

U

Unregistered

Ok, here's the story.....currently have 3rd class medical which will expire in a few months and I'm getting ready to go for a 2nd class.

Now, since I'm under 40, my last medical (also my first) was almost 5 years ago and I can't remember how I answered the questionaire.

Short story is regarding the question about 'have you ever been rejected for military service?'

Technically, I tried to enlist over 15 years ago and was rejected for a 'history' of a skin condition. A couple years later, while in college, I was approached by an officer recruiter and found that all I needed was a waiver - which they took care of and I've been an active duty officer for over 10 years.

So, bottom line, depending on your point of view, the question could be answered either way. On one hand, I was rejected, but at the same time the service that initially rejected me, later reversed it and accepted me without any change in condition and since it was 5 years ago, I don't remember what my thought process when I last answered it and while the actual circumstances have nothing to do with fitness for flying, I don't want to appear inconsistent.

Any recommendations on how to answer that question, or should I just explain the situation directly with the AME and ask his recommendation before answering the question on the form?

Ok, here's the story.....currently have 3rd class medical which will expire in a few months and I'm getting ready to go for a 2nd class.

Now, since I'm under 40, my last medical (also my first) was almost 5 years ago and I can't remember how I answered the questionaire.

Short story is regarding the question about 'have you ever been rejected for military service?'

Technically, I tried to enlist over 15 years ago and was rejected for a 'history' of a skin condition. A couple years later, while in college, I was approached by an officer recruiter and found that all I needed was a waiver - which they took care of and I've been an active duty officer for over 10 years.

So, bottom line, depending on your point of view, the question could be answered either way. On one hand, I was rejected, but at the same time the service that initially rejected me, later reversed it and accepted me without any change in condition and since it was 5 years ago, I don't remember what my thought process when I last answered it and while the actual circumstances have nothing to do with fitness for flying, I don't want to appear inconsistent.

Any recommendations on how to answer that question, or should I just explain the situation directly with the AME and ask his recommendation before answering the question on the form?
If you can visit the original AME's office, you can look at his copy (which he isn't supposed to copy and mail to you, from what I understand). You can also order a duplicate copy to be mailed to you from the FAA.

Also, you could try calling the AME's office and asking if they could check how you answered. They have a copy in their files, and with any luck, in the office and not off-site.

-Felix

When I go to my AME for my appointment, they hand me a clipboard with the new questionnaire and the old questionnaire. It assists in refreshing my memory as I grow older.

I'd go to the old AME and ask that they allow you to review the last one you did.

When I go to my AME for my appointment, they hand me a clipboard with the new questionnaire and the old questionnaire. It assists in refreshing my memory as I grow older.

I'd go to the old AME and ask that they allow you to review the last one you did.

Ditto here - must be common practice at many AME's.

Problem is that the old AME was in Rhode Island. I'm currently stationed in San Diego. I think I'll try to call the original AME and see if they still have it on record and if that doesn't work, I'll request my record from the FAA.

Thanks for the info.

If you happened to use AOPA's Turbo Medical online form, I believe the information you entered is still available there. 5 years ago they couldn't send it electronically, but you might have printed it and taken it with you for use when filling in the form at the AME's office.

If you happened to use AOPA's Turbo Medical online form, I believe the information you entered is still available there. 5 years ago they couldn't send it electronically, but you might have printed it and taken it with you for use when filling in the form at the AME's office.

Yes, Turbomedical keeps your data until you specifically clear it from the system. I have used Turbomedical for my last several medicals, specifically for that reason.

Although I don't have a significant *medical* history, I do have a long and significant *trauma* history with an occupational disability retirement, and don't want to get tripped up on histories of surgeries, etc.

Answer it "yes" and in box 19 write, "subsequently waived, served as an office for 10 years". Then it's a big yawn.....as in, wake me in the a.m. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back