Can't get use to the HSI - DUMP IT..?

Sticky1

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sticky1
I really don't like my HSI. Not that it doesn't work, cause it does, it works fine....I just don't like it. So what to do...? I am thinking of dumping it and go to a new KI206A or mabe an efis...But which efis....

What don't you like about it? Is it the particular HSI or just HSI's presentation of the information?

Joe

I really don't like my HSI. Not that it doesn't work, cause it does, it works fine....I just don't like it. So what to do...? I am thinking of dumping it and go to a new KI206A or mabe an efis...But which efis....

I think you should get rid of it, send it to me and I'll make sure it never annoys you again.:D

What is not to like? A slaved HSI was on our list of must haves when shopping...

If you cannot stand to use an HSI, by all means, there are plenty of folks who will be glad- tickled- to take it off of your hands and trade you even-up for a KI106.

The first time I used an HSI, I was completely and utterly bamboozled by the presentation of the information; I had no clue what was going on. One flight with an instructor, and I was stunned at the quality of information the HSI could give, compared to a separate DG and Nav indicator. If you have learned how it works and still don't like it, fine, but otherwise, I'd stick with it, learn it and appreciate it.

My $0.02.

Well thank you to all you wonderfull concerned flyers. GHEESHEE, I can't figure out who's offer is the best......

I was brought up on the standard old crossbar ki106A's. I guess I am use to them an trust them more than this HSI thing. I am considering doing the ebay thing since the HSI doesn't really fit the decor within my baby. It works just fine, I just don't like it.....

Ki206 unit in the back and the ki525a head I recently connected it to a Garmin 530. I am just not impressed with it. Ok - and it adds more weight to the plane..lol..BFD.

I think you should get rid of it, send it to me and I'll make sure it never annoys you again.:D

I will do better than that, send it to me, I will send you my DG!!

I'll top that. I will send you the cash to ship it to me, my DG, and a Starbucks gift card or a gift certificate of your choice for a free dinner at your restaurant of choice (not to exceed $50)

How long have you used it. An HSI is a wonderful thing. Spend some more time with it, It makes life so easy.

Maybe you just need to use it more. They are great and reduce IFR workload IMHO. Why look at two instruments when one will do?

Maybe you just need to use it more. They are great and reduce IFR workload IMHO. Why look at two instruments when one will do?

Why L@@K at one breast when two will do......?:blowingkisses: :goofy:

In the true spirit of chivalry....I will defer to my Burrito Sis.

It's just a matter of training. C'mon down to Salisbury MD, and in one hour, I'll have you believing the HSI is the greatest thing since sliced bread, or I'll take it off your hands free in exchange for my DG, and pay for the extallation/installation cost out of my own pocket.

I am just not impressed with it. Ok - and it adds more weight to the plane..lol..BFD.

Whatever you decide to do with the HSI, don't let your AME know that you've considered ditching it or you might not pass your next medical exam for psychological issues.:D

I also "grew up on" pointers and OBSs and for several years thought an HSI was of very little value. Then I got one and now I can hardly remember what flying without one is like. Learn how to use it and I'm dead certain you will learn to appreciate it.

HSI envy here... Hopefully the Aspen Avionics unit will get certified.

Aspen....I was thinking the same. WHY a HSI when I can get an Aspen type thingy. Aspen will be avail in december. I really think the aspen is 2 small.

Aspen....I was thinking the same. WHY a HSI when I can get an Aspen type thingy. Aspen will be avail in december. I really think the aspen is 2 small.

Because an Aspen unit, unless you buy the upgrade one, doesnt have an HSI. It's about situational awareness. Now, if you don't fly precission approaches, then you won't see where the greatest advantage of an HSI is. I'd suggest you go up with a CFII who knows how to take the greatest benefit of an HSI and learn what all it does for you. Once you really understand and get used to it, you'll see the difference especially when intercepting the localizer and flying down an ILS in turbulance and a crosswind.

With all due respect....

WHAT IN THE HAY ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????????

The HSI is simple and a huge workload-reducer. Learn it, live it, love it, as Mr. Hand would say.

I am IFR rated and the old stuff is just fine for me. Ok - Ok so mabe I should give it a chance. I guess I am just not use to it. It also clashes with my decor. I am seeking the glass L@@K .

Or mabe it just cause the glide slope on the HSI isnt big enough so when I bob up & down the ILS 300 feet either way, I just cant see the fringes...... nahhh, thats not it.

I'm the opposite. I did all my initial training through the Army so we used an HSI from day one. Now flying fixed wing with a OBS or GPS I really miss the HSI. I would rather scan one less instrument....and I gives you better situational awarness.

Thread Hijack:
Flew some approaches last night... Having the 496 in arc mode on the map, was great for wind correction. I can only imagine having the map superimposed on a digital HSI like a Sandel or Aspen would be even better.

Anyone ever use the HSI modes of the handheld GPS to shoot an approach? I am just wondering if they would be nearly as good as a real HSI. It would be kinda of neat to have them as a back up tot he primary indicators to help with situational awareness. I already use the DTK function of the GPS to help fly the ILS. Gives you a quick idea of the what DG heading you need to set to correct for wind drift.

Anyone ever use the HSI modes of the handheld GPS to shoot an approach? I am just wondering if they would be nearly as good as a real HSI. It would be kinda of neat to have them as a back up tot he primary indicators to help with situational awareness. I already use the DTK function of the GPS to help fly the ILS. Gives you a quick idea of the what DG heading you need to set to correct for wind drift.
A Garmin factory demo is having a Garmin pilot shoot an ILS in a Baron using only a yoke mounted 3/496 on the mock panel page -- with a towel thrown over his head and the handheld to prevent him from using anything else.

Anyone ever use the HSI modes of the handheld GPS to shoot an approach?

I did on one occasion but not because I wanted to. I've told this story here before but for the sake of an answer to your question I'll tell it again.

I was going into Chicago's Palwaukee airport and as I was approaching the city I was at 2400 feet above lake Michigan in solid IMC. Chicago had a 600 foot ceiling and tops around 3,500. ATC brought me down to 2400 giving me radar vectors to the runway 19 approach. Shortly after entering IMC conditions my HSI failed, turned out to be a bad gyro. Once I realized it wasn't right I put my handheld GPS in HSI mode for heading information. Since I was in turbulent conditions my wet compass wasn't much help. The problem with using the handheld GPS in HSI mode is that there is a significant lag as it uses positional changes to determine heading. It isn't nearly as good as a gyro.

Anyway, my instrument scan was really strange since I had to ignore the HSI and use my other nav indicator and include looking down at the handheld that I had on my leg. I flew a pretty erratic approach that day and I was really happy to set the airplane down.

When the HSI failed I called Chicago Approach to tell them that my HSI failed and hopefully get a no gyro approach. The controller came right back with 03victor turn to new heading 210 to intercept the approach, cleared for approach. By this time I was too busy trying to keep things under control to get into a discussion with the guy. In my experience the Chicago controllers aren't very helpful or tolerant of people who fly small airplanes.

Just as I was breaking out of the clouds the guy called me to ask if I needed any special handling. I told him he was a little late with the offer and that I had things under control.

As far as the original question, after flying IFR with an HSI I wouldn't want to be without one. It's so much easier looking at one instrument rather than separate DG and Nav indicators. I also had a slaved RMI which really made NDB approaches a snap.

I miss my Cardinal now.

Jeannie

Soap dishes. Soap dishes. Soap dishes.
They are AMAZINGLY helpful at times like these......sigh.

Soap Dishes?

Little suction-cup soap holders you can slap on the face of the offending instruments so they can stop trying to deceive and kill you.

I found a couple of 'em in the glove box of my "new" Bo- nice!

Little suction-cup soap holders you can slap on the face of the offending instruments so they can stop trying to deceive and kill you.

I have two of the Sportys black ones in the pocket of my knee board. I hear yellow post it notes will suffice in a pinch.

I am sure she meant 16 at PWK

It's been quite a few years since I've been there so I probably got the numbers wrong. But that's is where I landed. I should have looked at the airport diagram to refresh my aging memory before making that post.

Jeannie

Back