Can't get to AOPA

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
My renewal had expired. I've renewed now and have access to the member section, but can't seem to get into the forums.

Wondering if its a time delay? I can get to the other member pages though...

I keep getting sent right back to the login screen.

I remember that other people had this issue - how did you resolve?

Greebo said:
My renewal had expired. I've renewed now and have access to the member section, but can't seem to get into the forums.

Usually like this:

Go to the main aopa webpage.
Click on site map.
Go to the bottom and click on "Login Assistant"
You don't need to fill out anything, just close the browser and go back to the AOPA website
Click on Forums, fill out the login forms, and you're golden.

no dice - ie or firefox. Oh well will worry later.

Chuck,

I theorize that it is a cookie matching issue.

Nick's proceudre solved a problem they had with the Member's Login cookie.

Try deleting at least the cookies from aopa.org and forums.aopa.org.

Joe

yeah did that too - just aopa cookies tho. Next try I'll delete all cookies.

And hope I remember all my logins :)

silver-eagle said:
Joined for life. Now I don't have to worry about it expiring.
But why do they send me renewal notices every year?
Maybe they're hoping you will eventually get to be old enough that you forget you have a lifetime membership. :rolleyes:

Greebo said:

I just posted a response on the red board under anonymous since it apparently forgot who I was. Maybe the problem isn't with you but something they just did on the board itself. All three of the systems I access it from appear to have reset all the cookies.
Correct USERID and PASSWORD required. Request the information from the server.
Recent software upgrrade??? " Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4 "

I've had a lot of problems getting on the AOPA forums since they
changed over. Lots of times it makes me ask for my password and
then sends me some obscure thing I can't remember. I don't know
why they want to hassle members so much. I had the same password
for years and then they screwed it up.

RogerT said:
I've had a lot of problems getting on the AOPA forums since they
changed over. Lots of times it makes me ask for my password and
then sends me some obscure thing I can't remember. I don't know
why they want to hassle members so much. I had the same password
for years and then they screwed it up.

You log onto the webboard normally then if you are not logged into the members section it redirects you to the regular members login. They are apparently matching the two cookies somehow to keep people from creating multiple identities for themselves. Once both cookies are established, logging in directly to the webboard is a nonevent. If you clear the aopa cookie, it'll redirect you to the members login screen.

Check your browser setup options. Make sure it's not clearning cookies on you when you close the browser or after a given time period.
Make sure cookies are enabled. If you're using firefox with cookies disabled you need to make sure you have the webboard and main aopa site addresses in the exceptions list.

Maybe I'm weird or something but I've never had a problem getting on unless the system is down for maintenance or when there is an internet related problem.

I don't think it s a 'bad cookie' problem, right now I have NO cookies - Netscape had crashed and I had to uninstall AND track & destroy all associated items to get it to reinstall properly. So I have zip cookies and am rebuilding them one by one. Does everyone else have a large printed page with all their usernames, passwords, identities, 'keys'?

Let'sgoflying! said:
I don't think it s a 'bad cookie' problem, right now I have NO cookies - Netscape had crashed and I had to uninstall AND track & destroy all associated items to get it to reinstall properly. So I have zip cookies and am rebuilding them one by one. Does everyone else have a large printed page with all their usernames, passwords, identities, 'keys'?

What kind of error messages are you getting Dave?

Areeda said:
What kind of error messages are you getting Dave?

http://www.aopa.org/members/messages/

Here is the usual progression of screens (unsuccessful with the non cookie login as well).
I have sent an email to them Friday. I guess Im outta luck til Tues.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 9
Dave,

That looks like your problem is logging into the members only section. The username is your aopa member number unless you changed it, is it possible you're trying to use the forum login here? The login assistant should be able to get you through asking reasonable questions.

Joe

Areeda said:
Dave,
That looks like your problem is logging into the members only section. The username is your aopa member number unless you changed it, is it possible you're trying to use the forum login here? The login assistant should be able to get you through asking reasonable questions.
Joe
I have a written record of all login UNs and PWs etc etc and it still won't allow access.
the login asst wants to send an email to a defunct address; I think I'll have to wait til Tues

silver-eagle said:
Joined for life. Now I don't have to worry about it expiring.
But why do they send me renewal notices every year?
Did you tell them you were born-again? :)

Or say anything to imply multiple personalities? :eek:

Just askin' is all . . .

:D

Areeda said:
Dave,

Joe

And the password is your last name (by default)

ffr (for future ref) when i talked to the helpful it tech at aopa, I had the Password and Username correct. It just was not accepting it for reasons unknown.
Once reset, it was fine again.
"Gremlins"

I can't get in there tonight. This is it. Same crap about it can't write a cookie. Yet I got in here just fine and it remembered all my stuff. They're
just clueless on running a web site. Every other forum I try works
just fine.

Either they fix it or I'm gone. I'll try again tomorrow and if I can't
get in I'm cancelling my membership. Tired of not getting what
I pay for.

RT

User Name/Password Files

Let'sgoflying! said:
I do that, Dave, and it's saved me numerous times. It includes credit card and bank info, since I now pay lots of bills electronically [but not autopay]. But I keep it as a special MSWord file with an innocous name not password protected so I don't have to write anything down. However, I do keep a copy on an external USB drive [where I store one of several archives of my 27,000 photos] and this also paid off while I was repairing a hard drive problem on my main computer and had to use a backup for a couple of days.

I'm also ready in my airplane to do without GPS if the solar flare cycle really takes it down as some are predicting.

Back