can't find printer from Wireless laptop.

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I have a laptop with wireless. We have a log on for myself my wife and my daughter. It appears that I am the only one with the printer listed so I'm the only one who can print remotely. When my daughter tries to print I can't frind the printer. Then when I click on the find printer button I get a message that says " Directory Unavailable" I really need to get the printer to work from my daughter's log on. Any suggestions.

Is the printer on the network, or connected to a computer?
What OS' are running on the various computers (if the printer isn't directly attached to the network).

It's likely to be a sharing or permissions problem if the printer is on one computer being shared with the network.

In addition to Tim's excellent questions:

1. What class of user is your daughter's logon?

2. If the printer is connected to a computer, can you access that computer over the network from your daughter's logon?

Rich

hmmm well the printer is attached to my desktop that has the wireless modem. The laptop is obviously not directly connected but connected by wireless. How do I figure out what class of user my daughter is.

Is this an XP laptop? If so who is the administrator (who was the first person to log in when it was purchased?)

1. Start>control panel>User accounts

Does your daughter's account show as "limited account" or "computer administrator"?

I'm pretty sure even limited users can install printers. Just in case though, make her an administrator by clicking on her icon then selecting "change the account type."

Then log back in as her. Go to "start">"printers and faxes">"add a printer." Follow the wizard, selecting "network printer" and "browse for a printer." You should see the printer connected to your desktop listed as "\\yourDesktopName\YourPrinterName" Click on it and install.

If none of that worked let us know.

Back