Can't do AirVenture? How about VatVenture?

Hmmm... I don't have plans for tonight - I might just have to participate!

So will the VATSIM C90 guys claer me into the Bravo, or is it like the real world :)

I'm down for VatVenture!!! What time do I gotta log on? What Airport do we meet at to fly over?

Dammit! It is next Friday. Oh well.

I'll probably fly tonight anyway. Can't login until about 8pm Mountain time though, since I'm working. Hopefully I'll see some of ya on.

Crap! You're right! Oh well... anyone up for VATSIM tonight anyway? I'll probably log on at about 2400z. Will post my callsign here when I get online.

I'll try to be on at 2400Z. I'll be at BYY when I log in.

Callsign: N3734S - Cessna 172.

I've never heard of VATSIM until now. I didn't have much time to check the site out but looked interesting. Does it cost money to join? I'm assuming you'd need a yoke and rudder controls for your computer?

I've never heard of VATSIM until now. I didn't have much time to check the site out but looked interesting. Does it cost money to join? I'm assuming you'd need a yoke and rudder controls for your computer?

VATSIM is free, but it's not a place to go and mess around. You have to be serious about it, just like in real world Aviation.

You don't need a Yoke, and Rudder Pedals, but it sure helps make it easier, and more realistic.

Having problems - Squawkbox has never worked right with FSX on my computer. Keeps locknig up. Very frustrating. Going to reinstall FS9... be on in 30 mins.

EDIT: NM - don't have CD here. Trying again.

Last edited:
I'm online at KBYY. Callsign N999NN. If no one joins soon, I'll probably go practice around KOSH

STill having issues... don't wait for me. I'll join if I can.

VATSIM is a network that you can connect your flight sim to and 'fly' with other traffic and, depending on where you are flying, you may have ATC services.

IIRC, the only add-on you need is SquawkBox which makes a link between your flight sim software and the VATSIM network of servers.

Wait...Vatsim, is this an addon for FSX?

I'm not quite understanding it.

There's much more info at http://www.vatsim.net.

In short, VATSIM is the Virtual Air Traffic SIMulation. A network of virtual pilots and ATC's who fly together online. To connect FSX, FS9, or XPlane to the VATSIM network, you need to install either the Squawkbox or FSINN add-ons, both of which are available at the above website. Don't worry, my difficulties seem to be atypical and are more than likely a result of operator error.

Finally got connected. Here are the three of us in flight and a shot of Dustin's landing.

Attachments

• POAVatsim1.png
    POAVatsim1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • POAVatsim2.png
    POAVatsim2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Here is a screenshot I took of me, Nick, and PJ.

Attachments

• POAVATSIM.jpg
    POAVATSIM.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 22
I have a grip of pictures....

1. In formation with Dustin
2. PJ asked to see it, so here's what that area looked like
3. In formation with PJ
4. Left to right: PJ, Me, Dustin.
5. Just because its there: Deer, after crossing the runway.

Seriously, guys, join us sometime. This was a blast.

Edit: I should point out - XPlane had the taxiway on the otherside of the runway...

Attachments

• screenshot_16.png
    screenshot_16.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • screenshot_22.png
    screenshot_22.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • screenshot_27.png
    screenshot_27.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • screenshot_37.png
    screenshot_37.png
    798.2 KB · Views: 17
  • screenshot_40.png
    screenshot_40.png
    880.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
That was sooo much fun!! We have to do that again really soon!!
Maybe even have us a PoA Fly-In via VATSIM!

Yhis is just awsome!

I used to be a VATSIM junkie till I sold my computer to help fund my real world flying. I was addicted to that network for around 4 Years! I even had my own virtual airline and I was a tower controller for JFK :)

Yhis is just awsome!

I used to be a VATSIM junkie till I sold my computer to help fund my real world flying. I was addicted to that network for around 4 Years! I even had my own virtual airline and I was a tower controller for JFK :)

I've been thinking of doing the whole Tower controller thing. Sounds like fun.

Hrm, might have to get into this. I use FSX pretty frequently, so I'll look into it.

You guys do FSX, right?

X-plane is the best, IMHO, though, as for VATSIM, the plugin is non obtrusive and just works. All of the ones for FSX feel hokey to me.

But then again, I love X-Plane so freaking much....its so much more real...

I have a grip of pictures....

1. In formation with Dustin
2. PJ asked to see it, so here's what that area looked like
3. In formation with PJ
4. Left to right: PJ, Me, Dustin.
5. Just because its there: Deer, after crossing the runway.

Seriously, guys, join us sometime. This was a blast.

Edit: I should point out - XPlane had the taxiway on the otherside of the runway...

Don't land with those brakes locked up! ;-)

I just remembered about this. rofl. I'm down. I'll pop in to OSH and watch the airshow.

I'll be on shortly....KMKE to KOSH. Short but sweet
edit: N999NN

I don't think I'll be able to get on. Take some sceenshots for me.

It was pretty fun. I've never seen Vatsim so busy before. wow.

Back