Cannot Afford HIMS Eval Fees - Withdrawal Options?

P

PublicServant

Seeking an answer from someone with knowledge.

I am quite healthy - but due to my clinical history it appears, based on legal and medical advice, that I am headed for at best case a special issuance after paying for HIMS AME, psychiatric and neuropsychological evals, as well as compliance visits with said HIMS professionals. As a public servant, whatever little I had saved up over a long time for a full PPL course would be inevitably blown on just this crazy process needed to obtain a medical - notwithstanding glowing recommendations from my treating professionals and being off of medication for a long time. I can’t even afford just the compliance costs to maintain a special issuance - if I write a letter to the FAA asking to withdraw my application for financial and compliance cost reasons, would the resulting denial be permanent? Meaning - if I ever get a job that pays me more or the FAA reforms this broken process, can I be reconsidered for a Class 3 medical without them holding this against me? I’ll be up front that I had no idea that my situation could end up this badly just trying to get a medical and I simply just made a mistake trying to do this when I clearly underestimated how backwards and expensive the FAA medical system is.

You can write the letter which will most likely (almost certainly) result in no you can’t, and a denial. You can then appeal to NTSB which may work (insofar as a no jeopardy withdrawal). This will probably take longer and cost nearly as much as complying.

You can simply do nothing, which will result in a denial to clear the case off the books. Obtaining a special issuance later will be no worse than it is now for you, so really no jeopardy.

This is my understanding the system.

You can’t withdraw it but I don’t believe you will be further off in the future If you decide to Re pursue. However your options as a sport pilot are closed as it will be considered a denial. So as dr Chien says - it’s binary - thumbs up or thumbs down. No withdrawal once committed

It’s sad that it came to this. Sounds like clearly you had NO chance of getting issued. Better research or advice from someone would have lead you to realize that it would be a huge mistake to walk into an AME.

A denial is never really permanent. You can always reapply later. Just understand that the requirements are unlikely to change.

Have you actually seen an AME for a physical? If so, did you receive the letter from FAA on what was required next?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back