Cancer patient transport at end of May - best options ??

lprellwitz

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iBug
Morning, all - I need some advice on finding the best transportation option for a friend of one of my staff, who has been diagnosed with colon cancer.

I don't have all of the specifics, but what I know is the following:
- patient lives in Chicago area
- has been accepted for trial treatment in St. Louis
- will need multiple trips to and from; but first one would need to leave on May 30 to make it there, probably return a few days after
- is ambulatory with cane and walker; able to climb stairs
- not on O2 or IV meds
- needs access to bathroom facilities during the trip (the planes Grant and I fly aren't large enough)
- financial situation is unknown.

I was thinking that the Corporate Angel network, as an org that have charity flying with access to jets (for the bathroom facilities) might be the best option for him; and I've already suggested that as a potential venue to check out.

Can anyone think of other options that might be viable? Unfortunately, I don't have as much lead time as I'd like, but appreciate other ideas.

Many thanks, Leslie

Morning, all - I need some advice on finding the best transportation option for a friend of one of my staff, who has been diagnosed with colon cancer.

- will need multiple trips to and from; but first one would need to leave on May 30 to make it there, probably return a few days after
- not on O2 or IV meds
- needs access to bathroom facilities during the trip (the planes Grant and I fly aren't large enough)

I was thinking that the Corporate Angel network, as an org that have charity flying with access to jets (for the bathroom facilities) might be the best option for him; and I've already suggested that as a potential venue to check out.

Can anyone think of other options that might be viable? Unfortunately, I don't have as much lead time as I'd like, but appreciate other ideas.

Many thanks, Leslie

Chicago to St. Louis honestly isn't that far by vehicle....and definitely easier access to restroom facilities.

Have you looked into Amtrak? Very comfortable, bathrooms, real food. About the same time as driving without the hassles of stopping for bathroom breaks.

Southwest has flights for $150-200 each way. Amtrak is $30-60 depending on class of service. Train would be slightly slower than car, but probably has the best bathroom access of any option, and likely more comfortable than anything below corporate jet.

Adam Zucker is a member on here and would be able to give you the best guidance on the Angel Flight Network.

Southwest has flights for $150-200 each way. Amtrak is $30-60 depending on class of service. Train would be slightly slower than car, but probably has the best bathroom access of any option, and likely more comfortable than anything below corporate jet.

The problem many cancer patients have with both Southwest and Amtrak is a compromised immune system due to the chemo. The limited contact with others during transport is one of the main advantages of Angel Flight.

The problem many cancer patients have with both Southwest and Amtrak is a compromised immune system due to the chemo. The limited contact with others during transport is one of the main advantages of Angel Flight.

AF isn't an option - no onboard bathroom. Hence the suggestion of the jet option.

As for Amtrak, $27 one-way, a bit over 7 hours. I don't know what type of car is used. Out west, there are double deckers and the lower floor has less than half the seats (reduce the environmental issue by 50%?).

Thanks to all for the replies so far. I don't know about this individual's immune system status, although being immunocompromised would certainly be a key consideration.

On the topic of treatment centers; I won't say that one town is better than the other, although Chicago does have some very good treatment centers; those who know me, know that I somewhat work in the healthcare field, have a little background on the topic....

However, when it comes to cancer care and especially clinical trials, treatment options can be highly individualized, and aren't always universally available across all centers. I'm operating off of the assumption that this individual has consulted with their physician/oncologist, and made the determination that their destination facility is the one that best suits their situation.

Curious to hear more ideas out there - will check in with Adam for his input.

No suggestions, thoughts and prayers for this friend of one of your staff Leslie. :yes:

Adam Zucker is a member on here and would be able to give you the best guidance on the Angel Flight Network.

Leslie I would have immediately said life line pilots, but since he needs bathroom facilities that's really not an option. If Amtrak runs that route it would be a great option.

Adam, some people have 414s and 421s that have on-board toilets (albeit a camping toilet). I don't know how many are part of LifeLine or AFE, but for a situation like this could a restriction on aircraft be put in? Obviously this makes a potential for being missed due to lack of pilot availability.

A couple of other options, as I have sometimes flown men with prostate issues:

1) Gatorade bottles (empty, of course... to start). This works for men.

2) Adult diapers.

3) Camping toilet, which will work in a number of smaller aircraft

While none of those are ideal options, they do work.

- not on O2 or IV meds

United business, $467 round trip. Request wheelchair from the airline.

Adam, some people have 414s and 421s that have on-board toilets (albeit a camping toilet). I don't know how many are part of LifeLine or AFE, but for a situation like this could a restriction on aircraft be put in? Obviously this makes a potential for being missed due to lack of pilot availability.

A couple of other options, as I have sometimes flown men with prostate issues:

1) Gatorade bottles (empty, of course... to start). This works for men.

2) Adult diapers.

3) Camping toilet, which will work in a number of smaller aircraft

While none of those are ideal options, they do work.

Its possible to put the filter in on the request and some PBFOs have folks with advanced aircraft such as a 414 and 421, but those folks are few and far between.

Back