Cancelling my AOPA / BoA VISA

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
Well, I'll be...

All of my credit cards are due on or after the 15'th of each month. So usually, around the 10'th or so I go to each of their websites, find my current balance and then use an online bill-paying service (Checkfree via my bank) to send them the money. So far, 100% of the time, the money is credited to my account the following business day.

Well, this month, I go to Bank of America's web site to retrieve my full balance and discover that they've moved the due date on my account up a week and they dinged my $39.00...

As soon as I get a couple of months in with no lates on my record I'm calling back and letting them know where they can place their card.

Wow someone still has that card!! I thought everyone had turned theirs back in from the threads that were on the red board. I dumped mine a while ago

If you have BoA branches around you, go in and see them. The customer no-service people via phone are worthless. I get things done at the branch I can never accomplish over the phone.

If you have BoA branches around you, go in and see them. The customer no-service people via phone are worthless. I get things done at the branch I can never accomplish over the phone.

This is berry bad for me. BOA is taking over my bank, and I've loved thei old bank's locations and customer service. I got a call for a survey on how happy I was with the bank. I guess BOA needs the baseline for customer satisfaction so they can see how it moves down as customers leave.

I'm wondering if I should move to a small local bank this time. I gotta check out how they handle things like ATM fees and other fees.

This is berry bad for me. BOA is taking over my bank, and I've loved thei old bank's locations and customer service. I got a call for a survey on how happy I was with the bank. I guess BOA needs the baseline for customer satisfaction so they can see how it moves down as customers leave.

I'm wondering if I should move to a small local bank this time. I gotta check out how they handle things like ATM fees and other fees.
Oddly, Nations Bank had destroyed the local buyouts so badly, BoA was like a breath of fresh air.

I'm not super thrilled with them for various reason and will eventually move to a small bank. Their fees are high for ATM but they have a huge network of their own machines. I don't have direct deposit so it's ensured my paperwork is turned in. I can go anywhere just about and make a deposit via ATM with credit that same day up until 8PM.

For now, they work for me. I don't know about the AOPA card, yet. It's my second largest credit availability. I'm not sure about giving that up just yet.

Wow someone still has that card!! I thought everyone had turned theirs back in from the threads that were on the red board. I dumped mine a while ago
I still have mine. Not sure why, though.

Find a good local credit union!

I have been pretty happy with Harris in our area. You might want to give them a try

Well, I'll be...

All of my credit cards are due on or after the 15'th of each month. So usually, around the 10'th or so I go to each of their websites, find my current balance and then use an online bill-paying service (Checkfree via my bank) to send them the money. So far, 100% of the time, the money is credited to my account the following business day.

Well, this month, I go to Bank of America's web site to retrieve my full balance and discover that they've moved the due date on my account up a week and they dinged my $39.00...

As soon as I get a couple of months in with no lates on my record I'm calling back and letting them know where they can place their card.

That is exactly what BoA does. They did it to me, I called and read them the riot act and got the charge reversed.

I still have the card, because credit scoring uses a function of time account has been open + credit limit.... I just never use the card, it's put away somewhere.... that does cost BoA money to have an open account with no use. At some point, I'll just cancel.

They dinked with me too much and played lots of games that were time draining for me. Changed payment dates, even credited funds after a due date a couple times where funds were sent a week ahead. Claimed I had waived my Uniform Commercial Code rights when I agreed to their contract. Good bye! I only think of them now when others complain <g>

Best,

Dave

:confused: :confused: :confused:
NationsBank IS BoA.
Right, sorry I wasn't clear.

NationsBank bought up several banks around Georgia, including my bank at the time, Bank South. Meanwhile, I moved to another bank, a small one. Nations was messing with people's accounts and money something awful.

During that time, BoA bought out NationsBank. Things improved greatly but were never as good as the previous smaller bank chains that had been bought out.

Many of the men who built those small banks which had been bought have in recent years gone back into the banking business by building new banks. We've had a ton of small independent banks pop up around Atlanta the last few years.

NationsBank bought up several banks around Georgia, including my bank at the time, Bank South. Meanwhile, I moved to another bank, a small one. Nations was messing with people's accounts and money something awful.

During that time, BoA bought out NationsBank...

Well, actually, no. It was the other way around.

NationsBank bought BofA, and changed the name to Bank of America because it was a better-known brand. Why do you think BofA's HQ moved from San Francisco to North Carolina?

Well, actually, no. It was the other way around.

NationsBank bought BofA, and changed the name to Bank of America because it was a better-known brand. Why do you think BofA's HQ moved from San Francisco to North Carolina?
That, I didn't know. It had been spoken of around here so much of BoA buying NB, I thought that was the case.

At the time, I was with a small bank and not a great choice at that. A former roommate had signed a check over to me for rent. I endorsed it and deposited it in my account then gave her cash back for the difference for the week. She moves and some six months later claims I fraudulently deposited her check... for $165 and one out of more than a couple dozen. My faithful bank took her word with an affidavit from some bank in Utah and took the money away from me... in spite of my showing mine and her signatures from numerous checks both written and deposited... from THEIR own microfiche. Go figure. When I left that bank, I took out some $14,000 in cash and spoke loudly about how horrible their service was in their banking lobby outside the VP's office.

Most banks now have internet sites so having a local branch might not be necessary if the service is any good. My primary bank is Citizens. There are a couple of other banks I have accounts at. One is based in DC. Service has been good with Citizens and they have ATMs in lots of locations.
I once worked for a company (in the 70's) based in Braintree, MA, that used a bank in Montana for their payroll. The bank didn't have any local branches; the company didn't have any stores in Montana. It was obvious the only reason was to play the float that then was available when clearing a check.
Today, your money is in their hands in a heartbeat. It's out of your hands as soon as you use your ATM but that doesn't mean the vendor got it yet.
As to the AOPA (former MBNA) CC, I still have it. Actually several. Singularly and collectively, those cards have the highest available balance which just keeps going up. Why give up all that credit? Cut the card in half, stick it in the safe, and don't use it. If you want to get back at BofA, put a $.55 credit on your account. Then they will need to send monthly statements and eventually, cut you a check for the balance.
They might not care but I get a certain grim satisfaction.

We dumped BOA. The last straw was a major credit card FUBAR on their end. Turns out BOA's card services at the time were actually administered by Wachovia (another bank I don't like). We'ed been with BOA for too many years to count but, when you start to suck, you...suck.

WAMU is very nice to individuals, we're training them on how to handle business accounts ( ;) ). The biggest peave with WAMU is our business card account can't be online accessed by individual card, something BOA had and one reason we stuck with them for years of constantly trying to sneak in obscure (and blatant non-contract) fees. BOA is the King of WTF Fees.

Right, sorry I wasn't clear.

I worked on the Bank South project. I helped build the database they used to compare branches and ATMs geographically to determine which to close.

I had to shower twice a day during that project - once to go to work, and once when I got home to feel clean again.

And you think this is unusual because??????

Once every six months without fail, you call them up and ask them when your due date is. Ask them when they mail out the statement. Ask them why they changed the dates on you. Tell them to quit acting like selfish 2nd graders with the floating due date nonsense and do not change the date again even though you know they'll change it before you hang up.
If the due date is before the mailout date (yes, they are known to pull that stunt given the slightest opportunity) simply quit being nice. Go completely supernova on them..then rip their manager to pieces.
Then tell them to change the dates BACK to where you had them set the last dozen times you called them.

Even if they've been nice up to this point, if you haven't gotten around to it yet, you read them the riot act while torching the building and stabbing voodoo dolls. Tell them to drop the late fee and not to do it again and they will be getting another call from you in six months.

I hate credit cards and their selfish games. I'm also so cheap that I dug the Grand Canyon when I dropped a penny in a golpher hole. They save me $2/year on AOPA membership and I get free shipping/$$points from LLBean. If it wasn't for that, they would be so gone... Dirtbags but they have their uses.

P.S. Be a deadbeat. (deadbeat = someone who pays in full every month and doesn't pay the 25% compounded interest) They hate it but they can't do squat about it since they are the ones that set the rules.

If you want to get back at BofA, put a $.55 credit on your account. Then they will need to send monthly statements and eventually, cut you a check for the balance.

That's what I did with Retailers Target Visa. I returned an item to Target that was $2.49 and they credited my Target card - with the 27% APR - that I had put through the shredder. I loved getting the statement every month showing the credit - knowing it had to cost them $2.00 to send the envelope. Then last month I got a $2.49 check for the balance. No fair. :p

As to the AOPA (former MBNA) CC, I still have it. Actually several. Singularly and collectively, those cards have the highest available balance which just keeps going up. Why give up all that credit?

That and the fact that credit scoring also uses length you held the account

Cut the card in half, stick it in the safe, and don't use it.

exactly what I do.

If you want to get back at BofA, put a $.55 credit on your account. Then they will need to send monthly statements and eventually, cut you a check for the balance.

Just make sure you mail them a check for that overage. AmEx will no longer accept pre-payment/overpayment on their internet site.

Well, I just got off the phone with customer service. They refused to remove the $39 late fee and pointed me to my statement which clearly states that they can and do move due dates....

I've attached that wording ... how nice.

I like the idea of over paying by a few dollars to incur costs on their part. I think I shall do that next month...

I sure won't be using their card ever again.

Attachments

• duedate.png
    duedate.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Well, I just got off the phone with customer service. They refused to remove the $39 late fee and pointed me to my statement which clearly states that they can and do move due dates....

I've attached that wording ... how nice.

I like the idea of over paying by a few dollars to incur costs on their part. I think I shall do that next month...

I sure won't be using their card ever again.

That's when I promptly say "then cancel the card". The "Save" department has a lot more latitude.

When they sent me - without advising in advance - an AmEx card to replace my AOPA card, I called 'em and said I didn't want it (I had a couple of things, including hangar rent, auto-billed.... the AmEx was a new account number, and of course didn't have the rebates). They "couldn't do anything", so I said "fine, let's cancel the card". They sent me to the "save" department, who miraculously :rolleyes: reversed things and left the old account intact.

The mailing announcing the change came 4 weeks later.

MBNA=BoA=bad people.

That's when I promptly say "then cancel the card".
Yep, the save department got the charge reversed and back changed the due date to today: thus making my payment that posted yesterday on time.

I shoulda asked them to lower the interest rate while I was at it... Oh well, I'm still not going to use it again.

Read this on the BoA site on the Auto Pay section:

Once you have entered your U.S. checking and/or money market deposit account, you can change your account options and information on this page. Click Save Changes when you are finished. If you've already set up Auto-Pay and you need to make changes, please see the Help section for details.
Note: The Auto Pay feature will remain enabled until manually cancelled.

Important Reminder: Your Payment Due Date can vary and may not be the same day each month. To avoid late payment penalties, payments must be scheduled for no later than the Payment Due Date shown on each billing statement.
Makes it seem that even using Auto Pay won't save you from them changing the due date on you! Yet, on the FAQ page, they say:
Q: Can I pay bills automatically?

A: Auto-Pay allows you to schedule your payments to be made automatically so you don't have to worry about missed or late payments. To enable Auto-Pay, go to the Bill Pay Choice home page and click Auto-Pay for the merchant.

BoA=Slime, I hope they are loosing their shirts on bad mortgages
Even if they do, they make it up on rates for credit cards and the .1% they give on savings. (Remember when your fair to poor savings rate was 6%?)
Being a bank or an insurance company is a license to steal. For them to be allowed to charge upwards of 27% interest is a travesty previously only seen in the IRS. Why can't the rates be reasonable? Surely they can't possibly be able to justify the rates and fees they charge.

Even if they do, they make it up on rates for credit cards and the .1% they give on savings. (Remember when your fair to poor savings rate was 6%?)
Being a bank or an insurance company is a license to steal. For them to be allowed to charge upwards of 27% interest is a travesty previously only seen in the IRS. Why can't the rates be reasonable? Surely they can't possibly be able to justify the rates and fees they charge.

The high rates are why they yawn on cases of fraud or identity theft. It's noise to cover the losses when you have that kind of rate as your gross income.

Last edited:

I cancelled mine a while back. They pulled a bunch of crap to keep it
open. I paid it in full then cancelled. They mysteriously posted a $198
payment to my account. I tried to call them to tell them it wasn't
mine and they would NEVER answer. Probably had the account flagged.
This went on for several months. Then they sent me a check. Then a
couple months later they put a charge on my bill for that amount. What
a bunch of slime balls.

I had similar bad experiences with BoA and canceled my card many moons ago. It's a shame--I liked using my AOPA card (it has a pretty picture ;)).

Back