Cancelled flight to Wisconsin

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Scrubbed my planned flight to Wisconsin yesterday for a couple reasons. Just want to post that even folks in P-Barons pay attention to major weather systems.

While I might have been able to climb through some rough conditions, it was IMC a long way with freezing conditions in visible moisture a good part of it. Lots of light and moderate icing PIREPS by big guys. Would have been difficult to get on top quickly. Major frontal systems extended from Dallas to my destination. There were outs and I could have proceeded, but on top of all the challenging conditions, I'd didn't feel great--have had some kind of bug trying to get me and I could tell I wouldn't be 100%.

I know a lot folks may think flying a pressurized twin has great abilities in bad weather; someone still has to fly it and in bad weather conditions it is a handful.

So, we'll try again next weekend!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Scrubbed my planned flight to Wisconsin yesterday for a couple reasons. Just want to post that even folks in P-Barons pay attention to major weather systems.

While I might have been able to climb through some rough conditions, it was IMC a long way with freezing conditions in visible moisture a good part of it. Lots of light and moderate icing PIREPS by big guys. Would have been difficult to get on top quickly. Major frontal systems extended from Dallas to my destination. There were outs and I could have proceeded, but on top of all the challenging conditions, I'd didn't feel great--have had some kind of bug trying to get me and I could tell I wouldn't be 100%.

I know a lot folks may think flying a pressurized twin has great abilities in bad weather; someone still has to fly it and in bad weather conditions it is a handful.

So, we'll try again next weekend!!

Dave
Hey, even the Gulfstreams have to cancel/divert now and then. As you well know, there's not such thing as an all weather airplane.

FWIW, the wx looks pretty good here. Maybe we can hook up next weekend?

I'll be heading up Friday.

I'm dropping someone off in Rockford on the way up. If late afternoon there would work, my nieces don't get free until after 6:00 anyway.

We were planning on meeting in Janesville for lunch (maybe a late lunch). A nephew is in college there and my three nieces want to fly down to see him. I'd have some family stuff, but I'm sure we could visit some.

The alternative would be Sunday for lunch, before I fly back to Dallas somewhere not too far out of the way. It will take four or five hours to fly back, depending on passenger pick up in Rockford and winds on the way back.

Dave

P.S. I would like to show you something in the P-Baron that I can't really talk about :yes:

Weather sucks. I almost ended up sleeping in the archer @ KLVN - Airlake last night.

Well, I cxld a planned day trip to San Marcos (HYI) today, PIREPs of moderate to severe turbulence made it sound like no fun, especially with Tomster feeling under the weather. Not at all unsafe, just too much like work.

Dave Siciliano said:
P.S. I would like to show you something in the P-Baron that I can't really talk about :yes:

What, you've got dirty movies on the MFD?:D

I wouldn't think those would be of that much interest to you Lance!!

No, much more stimulating ENGINE MANAGEMENT STUFF (opps, I should lower my voice -- sorry). I just really get excited about this stuff

Dave Siciliano said:
I'll be heading up Friday.

I'm dropping someone off in Rockford on the way up. If late afternoon there would work, my nieces don't get free until after 6:00 anyway.

We were planning on meeting in Janesville for lunch (maybe a late lunch). A nephew is in college there and my three nieces want to fly down to see him. I'd have some family stuff, but I'm sure we could visit some.

Dave,

I'm heading up to Michigan next weekend for my latest flying adventure (should be a very fun event, but it's invitation-only so I'll post details after the fact), but I'm hoping to be back in town (from driving) by Friday morning and flying out Friday afternoon, returning Sunday morning/early afternoon. Hopefully we can all hook up! Lance has my cell #.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

Kent

Dave Siciliano said:
I wouldn't think those would be of that much interest to you Lance!!

No, much more stimulating ENGINE MANAGEMENT STUFF (opps, I should lower my voice -- sorry). I just really get excited about this stuff

Now, I'm curious ! :yes:

jdwatson said:
Now, I'm curious ! :yes:

Oh, it's pretty routine actually! Lance has been asking to see how my plane flies LOP, Jeff. I've been doing some LOP climbs and cruising at FL200 in the P-baron at some pretty good true airspeeds. Just technical guys looking at rpm, fuel flow, MP, CHTs, EGTs and TITs. Pretty boring for most folks. A real hoot for me :goofy:

As one approaches 60, there can be things more interesting that dirty movies. As a matter of fact, when Lance said that, I thought I might need to dust off the old tapes I had to clean them up :yes:

Seems pretty cool to me. Isn't everyone approaching 60, who hasn't already past it ? :)

jdwatson said:
Seems pretty cool to me. Isn't everyone approaching 60, who hasn't already past it ? :)

No, not if you quit having birthdays moreover, studies consistently show they are the major cause of old age.

Dave Krall CFII said:
No, not if you quit having birthdays moreover, studies consistently show they are the major cause of old age.

Good one ! :goofy:

Back