Canards and the Cessna 182

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Had a fun morning providing a flight review to the owner/pilot of this beauty.

IMG_4697.jpeg
IMG_4698.jpeg
IMG_4699.jpeg
IMG_4700.jpeg
IMG_4696.jpeg

The take off climb at such a flat deck angle was amazing.

The power off stall had the airplane saying to us, “you think you know slow flight? I’ll show you slow flight!”

Really cool mod. Had to be fun being along for the ride!

I have 15 minutes in a Katmai. One take off, one landing, one steep turn to the right, and very slow flight on the down wind. Really interesting to take off and climb at 45kia.

Now if they just made a 206 Katmai....

Peterson bought the Wren 460 STC, and modified/cheapened it for their own purposes for the 230 Peterson.

The Wren 460.....

Wren-460_Aeropedia-The-Encyclopedia-of-Aircraft-1170x570.jpg

The Wren 460 is my perfect/dream plane ... will never find one I can afford though so there's that problem lol

I like the Katami just a little out of my price range,and wouldn’t actually meet my mission requirements.

Did anyone take over the Product line from Perterson?

We had one in the shop. The canard structure makes it hard to work on. While the build quality was good, the weight and balance was all calculated. At number we were pretty sure was ridiculous.

What does the canard attach to? Engine mounts, firewall, nose gear mounts ?

Did anyone take over the Product line from Perterson?

They are still building them, on the cusp of retirement. I haven’t heard what if anything they’ve decided to do with the business.

When you’re new to these planes and running a few more HP than the O-470, takeoff happens way too quick. Early on, new plane, new pilot, I glanced at my airspeed once rolling and it took a second to register in my brain that ASI was inop and I was already airborne.

What does the canard attach to? Engine mounts, firewall, nose gear mounts ?

It’s a whole new engine mount structure with a beefy tube that the wing attaches to, and engine mount attached to firewall of course.

Note that this is an elevator canard, it’s a movable control surface.

Is that prop aeromatic ?

Yes, 1st time I have flown behind one.
And brought up the discussion (in another thread), Does an Aeromatic propeller qualify as a controllable pitch propeller for the purposes of a complex endorsement. My interpretation is it doesn’t.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Yes, 1st time I have flown behind one.
And brought up the discussion (in another thread), Does an Aeromatic propeller qualify as a controllable pitch propeller for the purposes of a complex endorsement. My interpretation is it doesn’t.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Good question..

They are still building them, on the cusp of retirement. I haven’t heard what if anything they’ve decided to do with the business.

When you’re new to these planes and running a few more HP than the O-470, takeoff happens way too quick. Early on, new plane, new pilot, I glanced at my airspeed once rolling and it took a second to register in my brain that ASI was inop and I was already airborne.

Really? I recall reaching out to them and he said he was done.
Zero new "news" on site since 2020.
Avionics standards list 2020/2021

Pretty sure he's just working through his order backlog before calling it. Would love to see a kit like what they make in the EAB world.

Someone needs to take over the product line.

Back