Canadian VFR pilot gets into IMC

Well, I didn't see IMC anywhere in that video. His two mile assessment was actually more like 3 miles which was what the tower was reporting anyway. Also, if you're going to tell the tower that you have 2 miles because you're so sure about it, then go ahead and request a SVFR clearance. Just because ATIS is reporting 3 doesn't mean it's 3 where you are.

Well, I didn't see IMC anywhere in that video. His two mile assessment was actually more like 3 miles which was what the tower was reporting anyway. Also, if you're going to tell the tower that you have 2 miles because you're so sure about it, then go ahead and request a SVFR clearance. Just because ATIS is reporting 3 doesn't mean it's 3 where you are.

Flying in the southeast in the summer it's often 3-5mi vis, we never get severe clear. Sometimes I swear when tower reports 3mi vis they are giving gifts to VFR pilots, sometimes it seems to be well beloow 3.

Never lost sight of the ground,that's always a good thing. Never enjoyed scud running myself,but each to their own.

Flying in the southeast in the summer it's often 3-5mi vis, we never get severe clear. Sometimes I swear when tower reports 3mi vis they are giving gifts to VFR pilots, sometimes it seems to be well beloow 3.

Especially around CHA on smoggy, hazy pollen days. Pretty much right now.

Looking at the video and sectional chart, its appears the airport was VFR. 1500 ft sounds low, but the lake is ~250 msl. So even at 1300, he was 1000 agl over the lake. I also disagree with his 2 mi vis estimate. Visability is reported in statute miles and he uses nautical miles in his chart measurement using a point he has not reached and a point you can see beyond.

Last edited:

Makes me glad I fly in the PNW. Other than when clouds restrict viz, if it drops to 50 miles we feel claustrophobic. Heck, I can see Mt. Rainier from my house, and that's 55 sm away. :D

Back