Canadian TSB Final Report on Warrenton, VA Midair

Yeah saw that earlier this week. Sobering. Also counted the number of times someone said "see and avoid" here on PoA since I read it, and wondered if S&A has developed it's own mythical OWT powers.

I know I've had days I couldn't see stuff called out to me when I knew where they were...

The whole thread about turning off all the radios on a long XC to "enjoy" yourself is full of folks who probably won't like Canada's conclusions in the report. ;)

Personally I'll just leave the radios on and accept FF, thanks. But that's my tastes.

Yeah saw that earlier this week. Sobering. Also counted the number of times someone said "see and avoid" here on PoA since I read it, and wondered if S&A has developed it's own mythical OWT powers.

I know I've had days I couldn't see stuff called out to me when I knew where they were...

The whole thread about turning off all the radios on a long XC to "enjoy" yourself is full of folks who probably won't like Canada's conclusions in the report. ;)

Personally I'll just leave the radios on and accept FF, thanks. But that's my tastes.

One of the pilots in this collision WAS on flight following. It's no guarantee.

They downplayed the airspace - look at the proximity to the SFRA and Dulles Bravo - a lot of folks cut across this area circumnavigating those two (that wasn't really a factor here, but could be in other incidents). I really try to avoid flying down there because of the traffic.

One of the pilots in this collision WAS on flight following. It's no guarantee.
Exactly. I am by no means saying that FF has no value, but just like the 'see and avoid' concept, FF is NO guarantee that you will get a heads up about traffic....sadly, I would say that the number of aircraft that I have seen and never been told about by ATC greatly exceeds the number of traffic advisories I have received.

My personal preference if I am flying through a high density traffic area is IFR and even that is no guarantee that ATC will give you the heads up.

Just like with navigation technology, you need to use all the resources available.

I like the breakdown of all currently available traffic alert systems, their costs and advantages/disadvantages at the end of the report. Was surprised to see "no distinct advantages" for the TIS system I use in the NAVIII Cessnas.

I like the breakdown of all currently available traffic alert systems, their costs and advantages/disadvantages at the end of the report. Was surprised to see "no distinct advantages" for the TIS system I use in the NAVIII Cessnas.

Remember that they don't have TIS in Canada, I don't believe.

Remember that they don't have TIS in Canada, I don't believe.

Good point, but this report was regarding an incident involving two US aircraft, in the US. We have TIS here. I think their comment was in comparison to the other technologies they discussed, not in relation to what Canada has available. What I got from their comment was that TIS offers no advantages over other technologies... It provides nothing the others might also offer.

Back