canadian transition

flyingmoose

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Flyingmoose
Just ran into a situation and I wanted to get some thoughst from you all. I have a new potential student and here is the situation. He is a non-resident from Canada. He has a Canadian private ticket but hasn't flown in a long time. So he is trying to get his license transferred to American and working on getting his medical. I am pretty sure that I don't need to contact TSA under 49 CFR Part 1552
Flight Training for Aliens and Other
Designated Individuals due to the fact that he is not taking flight instruction only getting refresher type training. I don't believe he can even log PIC until he gets his license transferred correct? I haven't driven too far into the regs on this one yet just wanted some other opinions. I could just wait till he gets everything transferred but he just want to go up and get back into the swing of things. Thanks

Cheers

Not sure on what you mean by "transferred".

He can get an FAA Pvt Certificate issued based on his Canadian certificate. He'll need to have a Canadian medical certificate. All of that paperwork is with the FSDO. Once he getes the US certificate based on his Canadian cert, then polish to BFR and sign off a flight review.

If he is here and cannot get a Canadian medical, then I would suspect that TSA rules may apply. He may not get a transfer and may have to complete the full US check ride and written for a US certificate.

FSDO should know those answers.

Not sure on what you mean by "transferred".

He can get an FAA Pvt Certificate issued based on his Canadian certificate. He'll need to have a Canadian medical certificate. All of that paperwork is with the FSDO. Once he getes the US certificate based on his Canadian cert, then polish to BFR and sign off a flight review.

If he is here and cannot get a Canadian medical, then I would suspect that TSA rules may apply. He may not get a transfer and may have to complete the full US check ride and written for a US certificate.

FSDO should know those answers.
Maybe transferred wasn't the correct word, but he already sent in the paperwork to get his FAA Pvt. Its my understanding that there is an agreement for that so we are waiting on that. He does not have any medical right now and was planning on getting one here. Are you saying he cant get a medical here?

Under 14 CFR 61.75, he will need a current medical from either the US or Canada to apply for a US PPL based on his Canadian PPL, but once he gets the medical, it's just paperwork, with no training required. Of course, to exercise his US PPL privileges as PIC, he will need to get a flight review per 61.56, but the
TSA Chief Counsel has said that flight reviews don't require the screening process -- you can just give him the training and endorsement with no further ado.

However, until he holds that US PPL, I do not know if you can give him training of any type without TSA approval. This isn't clearly addressed in Part 1552, so you'd have to ask TSA about that to be sure.

Also, if he has a Canadian instrument rating, he'll have to take the US Instrument Rating written test (but not a practical test) to have a US IR added to his US PPL, but since that's ground training only, the TSA process doesn't apply.

Finally, if he sent his paperwork to the FAA without a current medical from either country, it should be rejected as 61.75 requires that the applicant hold a current medical, so prepare for that rejection, and get the medical done before reapplying. You might want to review 61.75 with your Canadian friend before doing anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks Ron. I suspect it will be rejected also, but I will have to see. I will contact TSA about training before the papers are back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Ron, I did not realize that a US Med Cert would work in this situation. I've always found pilots with a US Cert based on their home country, had their home country medical when asked for.

Thanks Ron, I did not realize that a US Med Cert would work in this situation. I've always found pilots with a US Cert based on their home country, had their home country medical when asked for.
If you have one, you don't need the other, and in this case, the applicant doesn't have the Canadian. From what Bruce Chien says, the US medical is probably the easiest to get, anyway.

Canada and the US have a special agreement in addition to ICAO rules.

You can receive a US certificate based on your Canadian by taking some written exams. It will not have the "Issued on the basis of..." endorsement, but will be a full US certificate. Same rules apply reciprocally, so you can get a full Canadian PPL by writing the exam, I think primarily the "Air Law" one.

Most of the foreign pilots I've delt with are European or Aussie / NZ pilots coming over to fly gliders. They show me their home country cert and medical and FAA cert if they have one.

No FAA cert, dual ride only. With FAA cert and current Flight Review, local area checkout and set them free.

Back