Canadian pilots no longer have to fly real aircraft to keep valid licences

Van Johnston

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Van Johnston
This popped up in my AIAA news feed this morning. Is this saying what I think it's saying? That in Canada you can now meet all currency requirements, including flight review, in a sim? Thoughts?

The Globe and Mail (CAN) (10/3) reports that, following recent changes to Canada’s pilot license requirements, it will no longer be necessary for Canadian pilots to log flight time in actual aircraft in order to remain licensed, a move that “puts Canada at odds with the United States and European Union,” and which the Canadian Federal Pilots Association (CFPA) has called “reckless.” According to the new rules, only flight-simulator testing will be required. Transport Canada said that the change will make training more “cost effective and efficient” and will “also reduce greenhouse gas emissions.” Transport Canada also said that simulators “offer pilots a realistic environment that accurately replicates the cockpit and electronic equipment and provides flight and ground-handling capabilities identical to those in an aircraft.” Greg McConnell, CFPA national chair, said that many Transport Canada aviation inspectors had been unable to keep their licenses current due to spending cuts that prevented them from fulfilling flying requirements. McConnell said, “With the stroke of a pen, Transport Canada has devised a work-around so their own pilots comply with Canadian Aviation Regulations.”

After reading the Globe and Mail article, I think your understanding is correct.

Airline pilots and private pilots alike can now remain current, indefinitely, by doing reviews in simulators, without ever actually flying.

Is there any application of this to working pilots in Canada, or was it - as discussed in the comment -all about making things convenient for TC pilots?

Not sure how this differs from US... Apparently I'm missing something. I have done many currency events in a sim, plus several type ratings.

You don't have to fly period (simulated or real) to maintain a "license" in the US. Of course, to actually be legal to fly you need at least 1 hour every other year. And yes, you can complete even that in a simulator or training device if you meet the specific requirements.

Back