Canadian ATC fees?

JC150

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JC150
Does anyone know about NavCanada mailing a bill to you for simply using their ATC services while transiting (not landing) in Canada?

I am planning to make a trip from TVC (Traverse City, MI) to an airport just outside of Boston and the shortest route would be to fly over Canada. Someone told me if you talk to the Canadian controllers, NavCanada will mail you a bill. Does anyone have experience with this or know if these fees are true?

The only time I think have gotten a bill from Nav Canada is when I have landed.

I flew north of Detroit to KIAG, talking to Canadian ATC the whole time, VFR with 'flight following', no bill. I never landed in Canada.

The next time I landed up west of Winnipeg, yes I got a bill for about $25-$30 or so.

Does anyone know about NavCanada mailing a bill to you for simply using their ATC services while transiting (not landing) in Canada?

I am planning to make a trip from TVC (Traverse City, MI) to an airport just outside of Boston and the shortest route would be to fly over Canada. Someone told me if you talk to the Canadian controllers, NavCanada will mail you a bill. Does anyone have experience with this or know if these fees are true?

No, you will not get a bill if you are simply transiting their airspace--only if you land or take off from a Canadian airport.

Unrelated, take passports just in case for some reason you do have to land. It will make getting back into the U.S. much easier.

How stupid, let's promote not using ATC services :mad2:

Last week, I "entered" Canada and reentered the United States without a passport, and without going through customs either way.

Of course, I was in the Peace Arch Park when I did it. (Visitors are allowed to roam freely through both the Canadian and U.S. sides of the park as long as they don't continue on into the other country without going through customs.) It was my first visit to the park in probably forty years.

Flew through Canada to Alaska and back, VFR. Excellent service from their FSS, used two Towered fields. Recieved a bill for their "quarterly" fee, about $67? I was in country about 3 days both ways.

Have never recieved a bill ,for transiting the airspace. Only been billed when I have landed.

"Someone" told you wrong. I have transited Canada many times and talked to their ATC (normally Toronto Center) without getting a blll from them, most recently last week. Once or twice I even talked to Toronto Approach.

I am pretty sure that the only time you will get a bill is if you land in Canada.

I will confirm what others said, that you will not be billed by NavCanada for a flight that begins and ends in the US but transits Canadian Airspace.

If you do land in Canada, the fee for a single engine plane is about US$17 per quarter, and there may be airport and terminal fees, depending where you land.

Jon

Most airports along the Alcan highway use the honor system drop box for parking fees,bring your own ropes. My bill for their services up to Alaska and back was 17 dollars U.S.

Do you have to file a DVFR flight plan (or any other type of flight plan) to transition through Canadian air space?

Do you have to file a DVFR flight plan (or any other type of flight plan) to transition through Canadian air space?

No. Standard IFR or VFR (along with an ATC squawk code) for transits through Canada. You're not crossing an ADIZ flying into or out of Canada.

If you do it VFR, do you have to file a VFR flight plan, or is ATC contact sufficient by itself?

If you do it VFR, do you have to file a VFR flight plan, or is ATC contact sufficient by itself?

Both...you need to have a flight plan on file, and an assigned squawk code when crossing the border. For that reason I usually go IFR.

Back