Canada - Cross Country Distance?

Airmaster23

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Airmaster
Hi,

I had always thought that a cross country flight in Canada had to be at least 25 NM.

I can't find the CAR on this.

The US one is:

To meet the requirements (except rotorcraft and powered parachute category rating) for a private certificate, a commercial certificate, instrument rating, or for the purposes of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under 61.101(c), cross-country time requires a point of landing that is more than 50 nm straight-line distance from the original point of departure. 14 CFR 61.1(b)(3)(ii)

Does anyone know the CARS reference for the Canadian definition of cross country flight?

Thanks.

Does anyone know the CARS reference for the Canadian definition of cross country flight?
There isn't one. Really. Even though it's mentioned a few times, there is no definition of what it is.

That's not the definition of Cross Country in the US either.

A US cross country flight is one that lands somewhere different from takeoff.

That restriction is simply for those ratings.

14 CFR 61.1(b) said:
(4) Cross-country time means—
(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(4)(ii) through (b)(4)(vi) of this section, time acquired during flight—
(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;
(B ) Conducted in an aircraft;
(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and
(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

Last edited:
Isn't Canada on the metric system or is their cross country counted in moose strides?

Moose strides is the old imperial way, it's now decabeavers.

Back