Can Your Dog Spell?

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
We were sitting around the airport yesterday digesting lunch and talking about the two airplane dogs cavorting in the grass. One guy said his dog got so whenever he said "Wanna go for a ride?" to the spouse, the dog figured he was going to get to go somewhere. Then he began spelling the question. After the fourth time of spelling, he got to "Wanna take a R I D..." when the dog went wild.

Does your dog like to ride in the plane? Can he spell?

We have to spell around the dogs sometimes so they don't know we're talking about them.

They haven't been in the plane yet (since I haven't been up in so long) but the one gets motion sick in the car, so she probably won't ever get to fly with us...

I had a dog who got all excited when we spelled, "W-A-L-K."

One night Bertha D. Bulldog talked to us. I said, "If we let you out do you promise to calm down and go to bed?"
THE DOG opened her mouth wide and said, "I will."

It got r-e-a-l quiet. My wife and I looked at each other. "Did she just TALK TO US?" Yeah. "What do you think she said?" You say it first...:D
"Is that what YOU thought she said?" Yep.

Last edited:
Even Valentine the psycho wonder rat dog knows what "walk" means, so we started to say "the W-thing," but she has caught on o that as well.

Also, if I put shoes on, or pick up car keys, she knows about it. It is hard to get into the car without her.

She also knows how to jump up on the wing-walk and slither into the back seat of a Bonanza.

I used the word "peramulate" and Maggie caught on immediately. It's got nothing to do with the word and everything to do with differences in tone and expression that are so subtle we don't even realize we're doing it. Pets, especially dogs, are exquisitely tuned in to tone and other types of non-verbal communication.

Judy

My Uncle Bob used to confuse all the 2 and 3 year old kids in my family by using a piece of bolonga to get every dog in the vicinity to come running while saying "here kitty kitty". It was hilarious to see the look on their faces.

Last edited:
I had a dog who got all excited when we spelled, "W-A-L-K."

One night Bertha D. Bulldog talked to us. I said, "If we let you out do you promise to calm down and go to bed?"
THE DOG opened her mouth wide and said, "I will."

It got r-e-a-l quiet. My wife and I looked at each other. "Did she just TALK TO US?" Yeah. "What do you think she said?" You say it first...:D
"Is that what YOU thought she said?" Yep.

BTDT. Kinda creepy isn't it. They can talk, they just don't have the ability to speak human so they do the best they can sometimes. I'm of the opinion they understand way more than they're given credit for.

As for spelling: Absolutely. Even if you come up with a nonsense acronymn for something, they will figure it out if you use it a few times.

Even weirder: The dog I puppysit for has created his own words for stuff. I have a cabinet that has his toys in it. There's a certain distinctive weird howl/bark he does that means he wants in his toybox. It's very specific and he uses that howl/bark nowhere else except for that one cabinet. He's got to where he will do the same with other stuff too.

Piper has not yet learned W-A-L-K or P-A-R-K. But if I say either word, boy oh boy does he flip.

Shucks, I don't even have to speak to my dog. I just pick up a poop bag and he's at the door wagging his tail. :rofl:

Does your dog like to ride in the plane? Can he spell?

All my dogs (and one cat!) have loved riding cars. My retriever now long departed used to love boating. She wanted to be up front and got pretty good at hanging on, even while skiing. Took a mullet in the face one day and jumped six feet back into my lap!

Not only could she could spell but understood english and spanish. Our latest dog (boxer-terrier mix) is still young but she is catching on.

Don't know about airplanes, didn't and don't have one. Word is my first dog (cocker-lab mix) was taken in by a rich guy from Miami Beach and flew the dog with him in his jet. (we moved and had to give him up). Never proved it but heard it from separate sources.

Last edited:
No one has ever believed me but I swear that I heard my in-law's dog use two different words appropriately. It was German but, well, he lived in Germany. One was "ruhe" (peace or quiet) when two cats were fighting in the house. The other was "raus" (out) after he walked to the door and stood there looking at the door handle. Both could be approximated with a bark. He was a St. Bernhard. Also had his own couch and would lay down on it and use his mouth to reach a blanket folded at his feet to cover himself up.

Last edited:
No one has ever believed me but I swear that I heard my in-law's dog use two different words appropriately. It was German but, well, he lived in Germany. One was "ruhe" (peace or quiet) when two cats were fighting in the house. The other was "raus" (out) after he walked to the door and stood there looking at the door handle. Both could be approximated with a bark. He was a St. Bernhard. Also had his own couch and would cover lay down on it and use his mouth to reach a blanket folded at his feet to cover himself up.

I remember on Truth or Consequencies or somesuch old TV show a lady had a small dog like a Chihuahua that when she got it worked up, sorta whine/yelped something like "Mommy, mommy. mommy. I love mommy."

Like THIS!! http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZCYaw5tGYAs&mode=related&search=
Man, that brings me to tears laughing!

That was how Bertha talked, too.

I used the word "peramulate" and Maggie caught on immediately. It's got nothing to do with the word and everything to do with differences in tone and expression that are so subtle we don't even realize we're doing it.....
Judy

Well, you're going to have to use a different tone with me, 'cause I don't have a clue what the hell peramulate means. :D

Our four legged friends learn plenty. Back when the EX was working at a school for handicapped, we all learned some sign language. Sparkie was quite able to tell several words whether spoken, spelled, or signed.
Yeah, they can learn almost anything you can teach them.
My pup knows certain words. When I mutter them (you know the ones... son of a.... A******E....) he hides. Seems to me his former family used to fight a lot and these were hate words.

Back