Can you switch your IFR/CFII and still keep logged hours?

Trogdor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Trogdor
I know with PPL, I thought if you do a long XC with one CFI and then switch, you had to basically do the long XC again if the other CFI wants you to (ouch). At least that is what I was told (I forgot the reason why and frankly never cared enough to really look it up).

Now for IFR, can you switch CFIIs during your training and retain all of your hours et al? I ask this because a club I am considering joining won't allow me to "bring my own CFII" for insurance reasons (sigh). And all that is left for of my training is to build the necessary XC time/checkride practice (which my long XC will count toward).

Are there any gotchas about having to switch CFIIs say 50%+ into your IFR? Wondering if anyone else had to deal with this in their training.

I know with PPL, I thought if you do a long XC with one CFI and then switch, you had to basically do the long XC again if the other CFI wants you to (ouch). At least that is what I was told (I forgot the reason why and frankly never cared enough to really look it up).
That’s only for the sake of the new instructor. If they’re unfamiliar with you and your flying abilities, it’s only prudent of them to fly some dual hours before putting their name and certificate behind you.
Now for IFR, can you switch CFIIs during your training and retain all of your hours et al?
Of course. Why would you have to essentially start all over just because you changed to a new instructor? That would surely suck!

In Part 61 training received is training received. Your hours are yours. However, your CFI (or CFII) always has the option to ask you repeat something, everything, or nothing.

I had 3 CFIIs and took the checkride with 40.2 instrument hours. If the CFIIs are doing their job properly you could probably fly with 5 or 6 without it causing trouble, assuming you do your job as a student.

Your hours are yours. Who told you they reset if/when you switched?

You can fly with a different CFI for every single flight, and everything still counts. But some CFI has to eventually sign you off for the checkride, and that person could ask you for whatever he feels is necessary to gauge your preparedness.

Ok, got it. I guess I just have to show what I know!!

Last edited:
Back