Can you part 61 private pilot, then part 141 instrument or commercial pilot?

darlingm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
darlingm
Can you obtain a private pilot license under part 61 from a flight school authorized to do either, then after obtain an instrument rating or commercial pilot license under part 141?

The flexibility of part 61 for private pilot appeals more to me despite the extra minimum of 5 hours of flight time.

But, part 141's waiver of 50 hours of PIC cross-country time for the instrument rating, and its reduction in hours needed for a commercial pilot license also appeals to me.

Want to make sure you can switch parts like this, and that starting as part 61 doesn't "lock you in" going forward.

Double check the FAR's on the reduction of hours for the CPL, im almost positive that you still need 250 hrs. for the CPL no matter where you go. No it doesn't matter where you get your training for the ratings as far as i've read so far.

Double check the FAR's on the reduction of hours for the CPL, im almost positive that you still need 250 hrs. for the CPL no matter where you go. No it doesn't matter where you get your training for the ratings as far as i've read so far.

141 will allow getting the Commercial at 190 hours...if my memory serves correctly. The down side is that doing the commercial 141 requires a 120 hr program...at least that was what I noticed in the syllabus I received that was an IR/Comm for 141.

Doing IR via Part 141 allows completion in 35 hrs of instruction and negates the required 50 hrs XC that part 61 requires. YMMV but doing my IR via part 141 ended up taking over 40 hrs still. As far as switching back and forth...I did my private part 61 and IR 141 with no issues.

The decision to go Part 141 vs Part 61 is per certificate/rating. So you can get your Private under Part 61, then enroll in a Part 141 Instrument course.

Private requires 35 hours flight time, Instrument requires 35 hours hood/actual time (total time would be higher than 35 since you don't take off and land under Foggles), and Commercial requires 120 hours flight time. Grand total: 190 plus whatever it took for you to take off and land during each instrument lesson.

Part 141 schools are typically more expensive so how much you save over the long haul is always a question.

Example:

$105/$35 an hour for a plane/CFI vs. $140/$50 for a plane/CFI. That's the difference between my school and another local Part 141 operation.

And if you get your CPL at 190 hours, what exactly are you going to do with it anyway?

Back