Can you log time if you are drunk?

MarleyW

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MarleyWH
I am just interested from a purely legal perspective, I don't even really drink. But I was wondering if you could drink alcohol, maybe not even be drunk, but just over the .04 limit or within 8 hours of flying. Then go flying with a CFI. Can you log that time as dual time? What about PIC? I would think you could log the dual but not the PIC.

(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil aircraft— (1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;
(2) While under the influence of alcohol;
(3) While using any drug that affects the person's faculties in any way contrary to safety; or
(4) While having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater in a blood or breath specimen. Alcohol concentration means grams of alcohol per deciliter of blood or grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath.

Crewmember.

Not PIC.

Yes, you are a crewmember when you are receiving dual instruction.

As for logging, you can log your cat taking a dump if you want to.

You are considered a crew-member while receiving dual? Even if you are not a pilot?

You are considered a crew-member while receiving dual? Even if you are not a pilot?

Flight attendants are also crewmembers in aircraft that require them. They aren't allowed to be drunk, either.

From 14 CFR 1.1:
Crewmember means a person assigned to perform duty in an aircraft during flight time.

I hope your instructor is giving you something to do when you're flying.

Well this might just through a wrench into that whole idea

§91.17 Alcohol or drugs.
(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil aircraft—

(1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;

(3) While using any drug that affects the person’s faculties in any way contrary to safety; or

(4) While having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater in a blood or breath specimen. Alcohol concentration means grams of alcohol per deciliter of blood or grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath.

(b) Except in an emergency, no pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a person who appears to be intoxicated or who demonstrates by manner or physical indications that the individual is under the influence of drugs (except a medical patient under proper care) to be carried in that aircraft.

If you're drunk you not only can't be crew, you can't even be a pax

Last edited:
Just don't list that Jack was you PAX or Captain Morgan was PIC in the notes

I've got a few hours logged that I might possibly have been just a teansy bit hungover.;)

That is one of the best post titles I've seen yet. Well done!

But what if my cat is drunk at the time? And not to be crude, but my cat has logged some pretty amazing logs!

Just cleaned the litter box and found six new hours!!!

Can I extrapolate and log "dump hours" retroactive to this new ruling? I've had two cats for the past ten years...

:lol:

Mike

Well this might just through a wrench into that whole idea

If you're drunk you not only can't be crew, you can't even be a pax

You highlighted the wrong thing!

§91.17 Alcohol or drugs.
(a) No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil aircraft—

(1) Within 8 hours after the consumption of any alcoholic beverage;

(3) While using any drug that affects the person’s faculties in any way contrary to safety; or

(b) Except in an emergency, no pilot of a civil aircraft may allow a person who appears to be intoxicated or who demonstrates by manner or physical indications that the individual is under the influence of drugs (except a medical patient under proper care) to be carried in that aircraft.

You just have to declare an emergency before you let all your drunk friends on board!

Just cleaned the litter box and found six new hours!!!

Can I extrapolate and log "dump hours" retroactive to this new ruling? I've had two cats for the past ten years...

:lol:

Mike
This thread has gone to, well, you know...

I am just interested from a purely legal perspective, I don't even really drink. But I was wondering if you could drink alcohol, maybe not even be drunk, but just over the .04 limit or within 8 hours of flying. Then go flying with a CFI. Can you log that time as dual time? What about PIC? I would think you could log the dual but not the PIC.

Just make sure you keep a mini bottle of jack and another legal pilot in the plane with you. If you want to do something stupid, sip the jack and he becomes "PIC by default". So it's on him when you fly under that bridge.

Was the alcohol provided as compensation for the flight?

I think though that if the OP was to get drunk then go flying by himself, he could log PIC by virtue of being the sole occupant of the aircraft.

Sounds kind of like my dad's story. I'll have to ask him if he logged the flight:

Newspaper article:

PILOT CHARGED WITH DRUNK FLYING AFTER BUZZING HOMES IN MIRAMAR

CAROLYN MITTERMAIER Herald Staff Writer

A midnight pilot flying without lights was charged with drunken flying early Monday after he buzzed Miramar houses and chased a Metro-Dade helicopter into Joe Robbie Stadium, police said.

Dennis Irvan Angell, 25, was spotted about 12:30 a.m. doing loop-the-loops, spins and stalls in a banner plane, within 300 feet of a row of houses on Miramar Parkway, according to police reports.

Miramar officer John Petrone, who first spotted Angell, said the Piper Super Cub dive-bombed him when he flashed his spotlight on it.

Petrone alerted Metro-Dade police, who had a helicopter on patrol. The Metro-Dade pilot, officer Richard Shelton, followed Angell and ordered him down over the radio. Instead, Angell forced the police helicopter to take cover in Joe Robbie Stadium, just south of Miramar, to avert a midair collision.

Miramar police also notified the Broward Sheriff's Office, which dispatched a helicopter.

"Actually, I never saw the guy because there were no lights on the airplane," BSO pilot Lee McBrien said. "When Metro started chasing him, he came back up so radar at Fort Lauderdale could track him. The tower kept telling me this guy was all around me and I couldn't see him so I got out of there until he landed."

The banner plane docked in a hangar at North Perry Airport in Pembroke Pines shortly after 1 a.m. Minutes later, Miramar police impounded it and arrested Angell on a charge of operating an aircraft while intoxicated and reckless operation of an aircraft, both felonies.

A Breathalyzer test showed Angell's blood alcohol content at 0.16, four times the level allowed by the Federal Aviation Administration, police said. The legal alcohol limit for driving a car in Florida is 0.10.

Angell, of Austin, Minn., is a seasonal employee of Aerial Sign Co., based at North Perry. Aerial Sign president Jim Butler said Angell was flying the company's Piper Super Cub without Butler's knowledge. Angell has been suspended without pay.

"This astounds us that anyone could do that," Butler said.

Butler said the Piper is not equipped for night flight. There is damage to one of the plane wings that Butler believes happened during take-off or landing.

FAA officials confiscated Angell's commercial pilot's license pending an investigation. Federal records show no previous violations for Angell, who obtained his license in 1984.

Miramar has filed a claim for the plane under the state law that allows police to confiscate vehicles used to commit a felony. Aerial Sign intends to fight the attempt to confiscate the plane, Butler said. The plane was worth $65,000 when it was new in 1965, he said.

Angell is the second pilot flying out of North Perry Airport to be arrested in recent months on charges of reckless flying. Flight instructor Nancy Domkowski of Sunrise pleaded guilty in March to reckless operation of an aircraft and was sentenced to five years' probation.

Investigators said she had a blood alcohol level of 0.11 when she and a flight student crashed on a North Perry runway in July 1987. Her accident is one of 21 accidents or emergency landings at the crash-plagued airport in the past 6 1/2 years.

Angell was being held in the Broward County Jail on $10,000 bail Monday night. If convicted, he could face a $5,000 fine and five years in jail on each count.

Civilian no, Military yes...

So sorry about your father, Jesse, and also sorry that people here, including myself, have decided to make a joke of the original scenario, even if it was posed by a troll. Alcoholism is clearly no joke, and alcohol and aviation do not mix. What became of your father?

So sorry about your father, Jesse, and also sorry that people here, including myself, have decided to make a joke of the original scenario, even if it was posed by a troll. Alcoholism is clearly no joke, and alcohol and aviation do not mix. What became of your father?

Served no time of significance, lost his commercial pilot certificate and medical but continued to crop dust in his own stearman for about another ten years after the above incident. He is now a machinist.

Served no time of significance, lost his commercial pilot certificate and medical but continued to crop dust in his own stearman for about another ten years after the above incident. He is now a machinist.

Thanks for sharing his story.

Back