Can you help me understand something?

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
Hi All,

I have a question for those that know computers.

An institution that I am involved in recently acquired 15 new Dell Desktop $3,500 "gaming computers." These computers were bought to run high end simulation software, which they do quite well. These computers also have the ability to surf the internet via said institutions internet connection/network.

This institution also has many other "average desktop computers" that it uses for many other non graphic intensive programs. These computers also have the ability to surf the web via the above mentioned network, all with the same internet filtering software. They also have the ability to run programs like MS Word.

We would like to be able to run MS Word on the "expensive desktops." Neither money, nor licensing is an issue. Yet we are told that there is no way to get MS Word on the newly acquired desktops...

I find that hard to believe. Is there someone that can help explain that to me?

Thanks a lot,

Brent

We would like to be able to run MS Word on the "expensive desktops." Neither money, nor licensing is an issue. Yet we are told that there is no way to get MS Word on the newly acquired desktops...
What operating system does the high end simulation software run under? If it's not Windows, then you're stuck. (Well, not entirely...you could get VMware for Linux, for example, and run Windows on that, and MS Word under that.)

If it's Windows natively, OTOH, they're blowing smoke at you.

I agree with Jay. And if it's not Windows, chances are you can run OpenOffice.org, which should meet the need too.

This doesn't sound very plausible. The high end Dells are either running Windows or Ubuntu (and probably not Ubuntu). If its Windows, there is absolutely, positively no reason they cannot run Microsoft Office. If its Ubuntu, you can use OpenOffice.org (yes, the .org is part of the package name), easily, by either using Synaptic and adding OpenOffice, or running the following command from the terminal:

# apt-get install openoffice.org

Of course, the IT folks should be doing that instead.

Or, you could migrate to WordPerfect, and use a substantially better word processing package.

The high end Dells are either running Windows or Ubuntu
Not necessarily. It's not at all unlikely that the high-end simulation package he's talking about comes on a DVD that does a clean install, say, of a highly customized Red Hat.

Or, you could migrate to WordPerfect, and use a substantially better word processing package.

Spike, I shudder when you say that.

One of my partners has a dedicated, off-network machine running - WP 5.1

He won't change. He types docs in it, then take a floppy to an admin who reformats it in Word to send to clients, etc. The machine is a 2 year old Dell. :cryin:

He is also the one that insisted on a Mac Air for traveling. Go figgure.

He won't change. He types docs in it, then take a floppy to an admin who reformats it in Word to send to clients, etc. The machine is a 2 year old Dell.
The admin has a floppy drive? Wow, those are getting pretty rare too!

If the high end machines are not runnign Winodws, you run a VMWare virtual machine on it and run Windows inside that.

Better, as above, use OpenOffice.

The problem could be one of access control rather than software availability. The thinking may be that the "high-end" machines may be more available for the simulation users if they lack features (like word processing) that would attract the general user.

Bruce

If the machines are used for flight sim, then they probably don't want all the various services and background processes that come with major office automation applications.

The solution to this is to have a dual-boot configuration where the operating system gets installed twice on separate partitions, and one configuration is optimized for flight simulation and the other configuration is more "standard" for office automation tasks. This is how I have the system I use for flight simulation at home set up. Only takes a few seconds to reboot from one configuration to another.

The problem could be one of access control rather than software availability. The thinking may be that the "high-end" machines may be more available for the simulation users if they lack features (like word processing) that would attract the general user.

Bruce
Yes, but that's a matter of policy, and thus a "we won't make it available" as opposed to "we can't make it available." Not weighing in on whether there are valid reasons for the policy, though I certainly think that it's defensible.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies:cheerswine: (Wow, I just noticed the new smilies)

What operating system does the high end simulation software run under? If it's not Windows, then you're stuck. (Well, not entirely...you could get VMware for Linux, for example, and run Windows on that, and MS Word under that.)

If it's Windows natively, OTOH, they're blowing smoke at you.

The high end machines run Vista. They are Dell Precision T5400 models. As an example they can run MS FSX and X-Plane 9 on full "scenery settings," etc., very well.

The "low end" machines run XP Pro, and I did not think to check the model number....

Not necessarily. It's not at all unlikely that the high-end simulation package he's talking about comes on a DVD that does a clean install, say, of a highly customized Red Hat.

I think I understand what you are saying....As an example, FSX does not require a CD to run, but X-Plane does... Did I get that right:dunno:

If the machines are used for flight sim, then they probably don't want all the various services and background processes that come with major office automation applications.

The solution to this is to have a dual-boot configuration where the operating system gets installed twice on separate partitions, and one configuration is optimized for flight simulation and the other configuration is more "standard" for office automation tasks. This is how I have the system I use for flight simulation at home set up. Only takes a few seconds to reboot from one configuration to another.

Yes, but that's a matter of policy, and thus a "we won't make it available" as opposed to "we can't make it available." Not weighing in on whether there are valid reasons for the policy, though I certainly think that it's defensible.

I think I understand that. Every person in this institution has their own individual log in. When that account is used, (on any computer---except the high end ones) everything is normal, i.e., MS Word is there, Power Point, Internet Explorer, etc.

With all of that being said, the "high end" computers have a separate log in account that is specific just to these computers. While these computers are meant to be used for the above mentioned software, (among many programs, which have yet to be installed, but that is a separate issue all together:mad3:) as that is why they were purchased, we really would like MS Word installed on the "high end" computers.

I think I mentioned it above, but all the computers (new and old) are connected to the same internet network.

The lack of MS Word is a big detriment to a group of people, and when said people ask if Word can be installed, "the man" says that (technically speaking) Word can't be installed on the new computers. Period.

My question to you guys is that could there be any truth to what "the man" says?

I find it hard to believe that $3.5K Vista computers can't run MS Word, but I guess that could just be me....:dunno:

What do you guys think?

Thanks A LOT!

Brent

"the man" says that (technically speaking) Word can't be installed on the new computers. Period.

My question to you guys is that could there be any truth to what "the man" says?
He's full of prunes. Next time he says that, make him explain why.

He's full of prunes. Next time he says that, make him explain why.

Thanks Jay...

It might be a few days, but I will soon formally ask "the man" what the problem is, and will come back here with the answer.

FWIW, I was fairly direct in asking "the man" what the problem is recently, and "the man" was able to side step the question, saying something to the effect of that "it is due to the high end computers not being on the same network..."

The "we can't make it available" could be do to (a) not having licensed Word, etc for Vista and not wishing to spend the money necessary to obtain an institutional license for a few new machines or (b) not wanting to spend the resources (time or money) to provide duplicate services for a network that serves a small group of specialized machines (assuming the missing programs are made available through a server rather than installed on each individual machine).

Just curious, but given that Word is not a very graphics or CPU intensive application and that the number of old machines with Word appears to be much greater than the number of new machines, other than simply being able to use the shiny new boxes more, is there any real advantage in running Word on these boxes?

Oh, as a solution to the problem, install portable OpenOffice on either a flash drive or your iPod, then connect to a USB port on the hot new systems and run the application from there. No need to fight city hall and you still get the desired functionality.

To make life really easy, PortableApps.com offers an entire suite of programs including a web browser, email client, office suite, calendar/scheduler, IM client, antivirus application, audio player and an integrated meny all ready packed up and ready to install on a flash drive. Its all Open Source and can be downloaded for free.

Bruce

Neither money, nor licensing is an issue. Yet we are told that there is no way to get MS Word on the newly acquired desktops...

The "we can't make it available" could be do to (a) not having licensed Word, etc for Vista and not wishing to spend the money necessary to obtain an institutional license for a few new machines or (b) not wanting to spend the resources (time or money) to provide duplicate services for a network that serves a small group of specialized machines (assuming the missing programs are made available through a server rather than installed on each individual machine).

Well, his initial posting already ruled out (a). It sounds to me more like they have these machines on a subnet that's not currently connected to the file servers on which they store the disk images they normally use to do the install. So I'd say "no way to" actually translates to "we don't have the imagination to do it in a different way." :mad2: There's certainly nothing I've read about the machines that would preclude them running the software.

Oh, as a solution to the problem, install portable OpenOffice on either a flash drive or your iPod, then connect to a USB port on the hot new systems and run the application from there. No need to fight city hall and you still get the desired functionality.

To make life really easy, PortableApps.com offers an entire suite of programs including a web browser, email client, office suite, calendar/scheduler, IM client, antivirus application, audio player and an integrated meny all ready packed up and ready to install on a flash drive. Its all Open Source and can be downloaded for free.
Now that's a good solution, as long as it's only one or two people trying to use it. If a lot of people want it, it make sense to fight city hall! :yes:

So I'd say "no way to" actually translates to "we don't have the imagination to do it in a different way." :mad2: There's certainly nothing I've read about the machines that would preclude them running the software.

My guess is that you have the correct translation. An end-run via a flash drive & portable apps may be the best solution - at least it beats :mad2:

Bruce

www.openoffice.org

Jeez I hate stupid tech support people. Just go to this site above, download the installer, and run it.

Or, spend a few $$$$$ and buy a copy of Office. I know what I'd do. Next time 'the man' shows up tell him since it's impossible to install Word, we used Open Office. Watch him boil......

Google Docs. No need to install anything, and it is an adequate word processing tool. All you need is a web browser.

Now that's a good solution, as long as it's only one or two people trying to use it. If a lot of people want it, it make sense to fight city hall! :yes:

Just trying to solve the problem for Brent.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the repliesB)

Just curious, but given that Word is not a very graphics or CPU intensive application and that the number of old machines with Word appears to be much greater than the number of new machines, other than simply being able to use the shiny new boxes more, is there any real advantage in running Word on these boxes?
Yes, and it is hard to explain. However, in short, a group of students are unable to learn effectively due to the lack of MS Word... (Among other IT issues)

Bruce
Wow! That worked perfectly. I tried downloading it from the web, but the computer blocked me from running an .exe. So then I put the above on my flashdrive, and it was exactly what we are looking for!:goofy:

A question on the portable apps....

According to:

Running from CD (OpenOffice.org Portable Live)

OpenOffice.org Portable supports running from a CD. Start off by downloading and installing OpenOffice.org Portable to your hard drive... it doesn't matter where. Run it at least once to generate the default settings. Then, customize it as needed, being sure not to move OpenOfficePortable.exe or any of the other critical files. Next, download OpenOfficePortable.ini and save it to the same directory as OpenOfficePortable.exe. Run OpenOfficePortable.exe again to allow it to configure OpenOffice.org to run from a CD. Then, burn the whole OpenOfficePortable directory to a CD and you're ready to go. from: http://portableapps.com/support/openoffice_portable#cd

Could I put Open Office Word (as that is the one program we truly need) on a blank CD, and then just run word off of the CD? (as supposed to a flash
drive?)

However, these computers only have a DVD ROM drive, so, would a blank DVD work instead? i.e.--so we can create a set of Open Office Word on DVD for these new computers.

Well, his initial posting already ruled out (a). It sounds to me more like they have these machines on a subnet that's not currently connected to the file servers on which they store the disk images they normally use to do the install. So I'd say "no way to" actually translates to "we don't have the imagination to do it in a different way." :mad2: There's certainly nothing I've read about the machines that would preclude them running the software.

That is pretty much what "the man" has told us:devil:

My guess is that you have the correct translation. An end-run via a flash drive & portable apps may be the best solution - at least it beats :mad2:

Bruce

Google Docs. No need to install anything, and it is an adequate word processing tool. All you need is a web browser.

Thanks for the idea! I tried it, but we need some more advanced formatting options.....

Just trying to solve the problem for Brent.

And I do appreciate all of your help:)

Thanks again all,

Brent

PS--Issue number 2 is that these new computers aren't hooked up to the one printer in the room. I think it is an HP laser jet 4000 something, but I will check on Monday...

Hi All,

A question on the portable apps....

Could I put Open Office Word (as that is the one program we truly need) on a blank CD, and then just run word off of the CD? (as supposed to a flash
drive?)

However, these computers only have a DVD ROM drive, so, would a blank DVD work instead? i.e.--so we can create a set of Open Office Word on DVD for these new computers.

I've never tried putting the portable apps on a CD or DVD (the DVD ROM should read a CD). In theory, it should work fine. I'd unpack the .exe on to your flash and then burn a CD from the flash drive.

Bruce

The lack of MS Word is a big detriment to a group of people, and when said people ask if Word can be installed, "the man" says that (technically speaking) Word can't be installed on the new computers. Period.

Is it possible that you are misunderstanding the meaning of the word "can't" to mean "not able to"?

Could the tech be saying "can't" to mean "The Sys Admin says we are not allowed"?

Thanks for the info guys! I've been super busy finishing off this IR. I'll look over this stuff in the next few days and tell you what I found:)

Thanks again,

Brent

Back