Can You Help Me Identify This Headset?

JMac1773

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jmac1773
So my best friend gave me this Flightcom headset yesterday. It was his dad's set and since he passed away a few years ago, he had no need for them and figured I could at least use them during my training. Problem is... I can't find a model number anywhere on it so I can order some things for it. (His dad died on '08 so they are at least older than that.)

Can you guys identify it? I think it's a 40X but I'm not sure. I also thought I took more pictures last night but apparently my phone decided no to save them. The vaguely rectangular shaped switch you see is a stereo/mono switch.

Attachments

• Headset.jpg
    Headset.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 198
Yeah... I saw that on eBay last night, too, but wanted a second opinion. 40X is it, then. Thanks!

Why does the guy use a headset in the bathroom?

Noise cancellation?

It's the bar in my kitchen. That's a roll of paper towels. But thanks for playing. :p

Heheh, I thought it was a toilet paper roll too. :)

Yep, the way you can tell it's a Flightcom, is they used shrink tube instead of the cable clips on the yokes for the overhead cable. But all of the following have the same shells and guts (They're lovingly called the "hundred dollar headsets"):

Flightcom, Softcomm, A2A, ASA, Avcomm, Sigtronics, DRE, Cobra, Skylite, and a few other off names use the same asian maker. Even Motorola was in the mix for a while there.

Then you have Faro, BRG, Rugged Radio, Powder Puff, etc. who use a different maker in the same area and use big round ear cups and double-thick earseals. (Some parts are interchangeable "The fancy hundred dollar headsets")

Then there's us, Acousticom, and Pilot Comm that use many of the same US parts.(Not Interchangeable. High end electronics) DC uses some different parts, but can interchange with ours.

Headset lesson complete. You're welcome. ;p

Last edited:
So my best friend gave me this Flightcom headset yesterday. It was his dad's set and since he passed away a few years ago, he had no need for them and figured I could at least use them during my training. Problem is... I can't find a model number anywhere on it so I can order some things for it. (His dad died on '08 so they are at least older than that.)

Can you guys identify it? I think it's a 40X but I'm not sure. I also thought I took more pictures last night but apparently my phone decided no to save them. The vaguely rectangular shaped switch you see is a stereo/mono switch.

Most of the time the model doesn't matter much, many parts are common size and interchangeable, even across brands for that matter.

I wouldn't spend much money on those, you can get a new ASA set for about 100bucks, nice used set of DCs off craigslist for 200 or so.

IMO ASAs aren't all that great in the first place.

One of the other posters, Shane, has some headsets he sells, folks seem to like them.

Shane,

Lately, I've been reading about the brands you mentioned, and you just confirmed what I had inferred/guessed about their pedigree. I also very much enjoyed this answer of yours. Thank you for shedding so much light on this subject!

edited to add: A call to pilot-usa confirmed that their OEM ANR headsets (spruce, pilotmall, marv golden) are the same as their house brand.

Heheh, I thought it was a toilet paper roll too. :)

Yep, the way you can tell it's a Flightcom, is they used shrink tube instead of the cable clips on the yokes for the overhead cable. But all of the following have the same shells and guts (They're lovingly called the "hundred dollar headsets"):

Flightcom, Softcomm, A2A, ASA, Avcomm, Sigtronics, DRE, Cobra, Skylite, and a few other off names use the same asian maker. Even Motorola was in the mix for a while there.

Then you have Faro, BRG, Rugged Radio, Powder Puff, etc. who use a different maker in the same area and use big round ear cups and huge earseals. (Some parts are interchangeable "The fancy hundred dollar headsets")

Then there's us, Acousticom, and Pilot Comm that use many of the same US parts. (Not Interchangeable. High end electronics)

Headset lesson complete. You're welcome. ;p

Last edited:
Those look just like mine, purchased new in 1993. No model number on mine either, but I don't think it's the one in that eBay add because the boom is different. If you find ear covers that fit, please post back here. The ones I bought are way too big.

Shane,

Lately, I've been reading about the brands you mentioned, and you just confirmed what I had inferred/guessed about their pedigree. I also very much enjoyed this answer of yours. Thank you for shedding so much light on this subject!

Hey thank you very much! :) I also forgot to even mention DC as a conventional style. They are closer to our group than any of the others. They use some older tech inside, and a completely different headband arc technique, but the hardware - even after several decades - is still solid.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend much money on those, you can get a new ASA set for about 100bucks, nice used set of DCs off craigslist for 200 or so.

IMO ASAs aren't all that great in the first place.

One of the other posters, Shane, has some headsets he sells, folks seem to like them.

Yeah... I figured I'd use them for training (assuming they work half-way decently) and get a nicer set a little later on. You really can't beat free...

Yeah... I figured I'd use them for training (assuming they work half-way decently) and get a nicer set a little later on. You really can't beat free...

That's exactly right! Plus that will give you time to try out different headsets and figure out which one's you like the best. Most guys will let you take theirs for a spin. If not, all the good makers have a 30 day return.
I just wanted to point out, that there are a lot that "look" the same from a distance, but are actually quite different.

Now take that free headset and GO FLYIN. :) Oooh, and you're in Tejas too.

Well come on down to HYI and I'll slap one of these babies on you and go feed you some lunch.
(Yes that is an open invitation to those of you reading this. :yesnod:)

Last edited:
That's exactly right! Plus that will give you time to try out different headsets and figure out which one's you like the best. Most guys will let you take theirs for a spin. If not, all the good makers have a 30 day return.
I just wanted to point out, that there are a lot that "look" the same from a distance, but are actually quite different.

Well come on down to HYI and I'll slap one of these babies on you and go feed you some lunch.

You're just trying to sell headsets. :D

And you just may have. Once I get further along I'm going to take you up on that deal. :yes:

If I wear DCs for more than half an hour, I'm ready to throw them out of the window, such uncomfortable head sets for me. :nonod:

It's a 4DX not 40X but it doesn't matter, it's a common headset design and "accessories" from many manufacturers will work.

Those look familiar. I bought a set of 40XLs used at the FBO back in '96. They still work to this day. I hope they serve you well!

I may have to drop by there one of these days. I never quite make it there, I normally stop 10 miles east for some barbecue.

I may have to drop by there one of these days. I never quite make it there, I normally stop 10 miles east for some barbecue.

Sounds good! Lockhart BBQ is pretty good. :)

Back