Can you hear this?

If I turn my head just right with respect to the speakers I can hear it. I can definately tell when it starts and stops when I hit the start/stop button. Not at all an annoying level, however. But, I'm almost 55. Funny, good music still sounds just fine. :D

I hear it just fine at 41. The graphics equalizer shows a lot of stuff in the 1Khz, 4Khz and 12.5Khz ranges. Just for fun I turned everything off except 12.5Khz and up and could still hear it just fine. (File, save to disk...I'm going to try that on my friends puppy tomorrow to see what happens)

I've always had really good hearing. Power supplies and high voltage circuits that are going out are annoying. The worst are those damned ultrasonic contraptions that are supposed to run bats out of the attic. If I'm anywhere in a house with one of those things, even two floors below, those things will drive me absolutely screaming bonkers nuts in minutes. The crazy thing is that living in a RV where it's quiet, when it snows, the snow hitting the roof will wake me up at night.

Curiously I can tell if 120VAC 60Hz wiring circuit in the wall is on or not. My guess is it's more sensing the EMF from the wiring than actual sound noise. If the wire is hot even if nothing is plugged into the socket, it causes me to be tense all the time. No power to the circuit and I'm a lot more relaxed. When I'm not sleeping good, I will often flip the breakers to knock out power in the bedroom area. If I shut the power down or it goes out on it's own, the stress level that I didn't realize was there drops way off within seconds.
Speaking of which, I really have to disable that annoying 120V socket and wiring that runs under my bed soon before it makes me nuts. I'm already seriously considering a rewiring/breaker adding session this summer to have hot 120V wires running only where and when they're needed.

Last edited:
:eek: Wow, Frank. You have super powers!

That is really cool that you can tell when there's power in the walls. Do you use your powers for good or evil?

Heheh... I couldn't hear it - but my dog sure could! She was sleeping, raised her head and looked at me like, "What the hell are you doing NOW???"

Me? Too many guns and motorcycles and scuba descents, I reckon.

my cat jumped off her chair - she looked at the laptop while doing so.

Can you hear this?

Yes, which is amazing. At night, I sometimes get a mid-bass tone in my right ear that bothers me, too many teenage years of listening to rock pumped thru JBL 4312 studio monitors.

OH, 43 btw.

I've always had really good hearing. Power supplies and high voltage circuits that are going out are annoying. The worst are those damned ultrasonic contraptions that are supposed to run bats out of the attic. If I'm anywhere in a house with one of those things, even two floors below, those things will drive me absolutely screaming bonkers nuts in minutes. The crazy thing is that living in a RV where it's quiet, when it snows, the snow hitting the roof will wake me up at night.

When I was an alarm man I worked on old ultrasonic motion sensor systems that used the same transducers. I once got a call to a meat plant where they had the transducers just off the floor and I could hear them. When I asked them why they were installed wrong and were so noisy they told me they used the system to drive off rodents.

I serviced a J.C. Penny's with the ultrasonic alarm system on the ceiling. A young dude tracked me down and asked if I could shut off that noise. I never heard a thing. I said, "You can hear that? You shouldn't be able to. It's at 22,000 Hertz!" He said, "Man, I don't know nothing about that. The "hurts" is in my ears!" :rofl:

Curiously I can tell if 120VAC 60Hz wiring circuit in the wall is on or not. My guess is it's more sensing the EMF from the wiring than actual sound noise. If the wire is hot even if nothing is plugged into the socket, it causes me to be tense all the time. No power to the circuit and I'm a lot more relaxed. When I'm not sleeping good, I will often flip the breakers to knock out power in the bedroom area. If I shut the power down or it goes out on it's own, the stress level that I didn't realize was there drops way off within seconds.
Speaking of which, I really have to disable that annoying 120V socket and wiring that runs under my bed soon before it makes me nuts. I'm already seriously considering a rewiring/breaker adding session this summer to have hot 120V wires running only where and when they're needed.
I think you need see to see a doctor...and not the hearing kind. :rolleyes:

OK. I'm officially an old man. I can't hear anything at all through the speakers on the Macbook Pro.

Interesting enough my $150 Altec Lansing speakers at home can't really do the sound for crap while my $7 Logitech speakers at work does it great.

I heard it just fine...

It actually sounds like the feedback loop you hear behind a pilots voice when using the intercom on board a jetliner.

That's the 400hz tone from the 400hz AC bus in the jets; I have often thought that, were we to create a small "tone injector" to put that 400hz tone "behind" our voices, Chicago Approach would give us better service.

63 Can't hear a thing. Wonderful to think that I'm immune to one of the annoying things teens like.

my cat jumped off her chair - she looked at the laptop while doing so.
At least your cat could tell what direction it was coming from. Mine was eating. She looked up, then ran into the other room to investigate. :dunno:

OK. I'm officially an old man. I can't hear anything at all through the speakers on the Macbook Pro.

Don't worry about it Mike... I heard it just fine with the Lightspeeds in the truck, but now that I'm home I tried it on the MacBook Pro again... Nothin'. Must be a filter (intentional or otherwise) somewhere in the speaker system. Try again with headphones. :yes:

yup. I think it's 15k tho. I start dropping off around 16k and 17k needs to be pretty loud for me to hear it

Forty three years old last August and I hear it fine. I can also hear the 15khz horizontal oscillator in a TV with the volume off in a quiet room, or at least most of them. Admittedly, though, how loud I perceive it varies as I turn my head, indicating that one ear hears it better than the other.

This one is annoying at low volume and painful at high volume.

43 and I can hear it fine. Which surprises me with all those years of sirens going off over my head. The new puppy didn't like it at all. He came over, investigated, then left the room..he was sleeping soundly until I played it.

Need to change my answer - I realized I didn't have the sound up enough!

Yes I can hear it - and even when the sound is down so I can't hear it, my dogs can. Of course. I mean, duh. :)

Don't worry about it Mike... I heard it just fine with the Lightspeeds in the truck, but now that I'm home I tried it on the MacBook Pro again... Nothin'. Must be a filter (intentional or otherwise) somewhere in the speaker system. Try again with headphones. :yes:

OK, I lied. I guess I turned the volume down on my laptop at some point. Oops. :redface:

Sorry Mike. ;)

Back