Can you guess what' going on at O'Hare?

kath

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Katherine
Don't worry, this is *not* about a bad thing!

Stumbled across this while wandering around Terminal B waiting for my turn to board. There were nine fire trucks outside. A big crowd had gathered inside.

IMG_2312.JPG

I can start giving hints to the answer, if no one can guess! :)

Who is the ‘civilian’ with the gray backpack getting into the pink save the Ta Ta’s Golfcart?

Hint #1: Most of the people in the photo are "civilians", who were given the yellow vests by the airport staff so they could safely go out onto the ramp. (I think.)
Hint #2: Nothing to do with the captain or flight crew. (Except that they flew the plane in, of course.)

Families going to meet soldiers returning home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hint #1: Most of the people in the photo are "civilians", who were given the yellow vests by the airport staff so they could safely go out onto the ramp. (I think.)
Hint #2: Nothing to do with the captain or flight crew. (Except that they flew the plane in, of course.)

Only civilian I see is the backpack guy at the pink save the ta tas cart. Unless it’s the dude in the white shirt next to what looks like a cop. But he has straps and stuff over his shoulder and looks kinda official

They heard 6PC was flying to Oshkosh and were preparing for when he flew overhead. The pink cart was in case Ms. Wong was with him.

Betcha the backpack dude is some celebrity look alike. He spread a rumor that the celebrity was comin in on the plane and copped himself a first off the plane and cart ride to the Uber stand

Hint #3: The United jet was painted with something "special"

Hint #4: There was one of those "balloon arches" just inside the gate, and people cheered for someone and his cargo, before the whole entourage went outside.

Hint #5: The passenger's "cargo" was something you would never normally be allowed to bring on a plane.

Hint #5: The passenger's "cargo" was something you would never normally be allowed to bring on a plane.

Given the number of fire trucks, it must have been highly flammable.

Families going to meet soldiers returning home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes....
Honors for a fallen soldier.
At the last airport I worked at, everything halted at ALL gates on the side of the building, until the hearse pulled away.

That's right.
Not related to the military.

weilke is on the right track.

Someone is getting off the plane. People are cheering for him/her and their cargo which is a fire hazard of some sort. Was this a scheduled flight? Or charter?

Some sort of "green" bio-jet-fuel save-the-planet demonstration flight?

Special Olympics Flame of Hope.

Nauga,
and a tribute

WINNER!

The athlete/passenger carried a thing that looked like a "miner's lantern", about the size of a lava lamp. He was carrying it very very carefully, with the assistance of another person.
United had brought tons of "foam torches" for people in the crowd to wave, like at a sporting event.
After the cheering inside, they carried the lantern back outside, down the stairs leading to the ramp. All the honored invitees donned their yellow vests.
Outside, there was lots of photos taken with various groups of people, and there was a ceremony to transfer the flame to the Torch. The firefighters all looked really excited to meet the athlete and participate in the whole thing. I couldn't see all that much from the window of Gate B6, but it was pretty cool...

The jet was painted with "50th Anniversary Special Olympics" on the side.

^^^ that's pretty cool!

But, the identity of "backpack guy" shall remain forever a mystery... :)

Back