Can You Fly a Piper Cub J-3 at Night

Joegoersch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JoeGoersch
I was just wondering if you can fly a Piper Cub at night. Presuming it has either an engine which allows and alternator/generator or a stand-alone battery good enough to power anti-collision lights.

Obviously it wasn't certified for night VFR back in the day...and I'm also assuming the pilot is not flying it as a light sport but rather as a Private Pilot or better...

Can you, or may you? ;)

I suspect the J-3 was certified under Aernautical Bulletin 7A, and I don’t think that had any specific requirements for night operation. So as long as you have the lights, etc, required under Part 91, whatever the power source, you should be legal.

Well if you can reach enough speed for the wing to produce enough lift to counter the weight... airplane doesn't know it's nighttime

Sorry. I meant can a J-3 be legally flown at night if it otherwise meets the requirements of CFR 91.205

Yes, as long as it meets the above posts requirements. But, I heard they turn into pumpkins 1 hour after Sunset.

It's legal, but originally the J-3's had a A65-8 with no provision for a generator on the accessory case. You would have to have some kind of battery power on that model of engine.

No, because I have a NO NIGHT FLIGHT prohibition on my pilot plastic card thingy. I can only fly my Cub during daylight.

but if it's night, and dark, and you can't see the placard, then you're all good!

It's legal, but originally the J-3's had a A65-8 with no provision for a generator on the accessory case. You would have to have some kind of battery power on that model of engine.
...or a wind generator.

To generate electricity from wind, not to generate wind. ;)

Would you then be required to have a transponder flying where it's required if you had a wind generator?
...or a wind generator.

To generate electricity from wind, not to generate wind. ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Would you then be required to have a transponder flying where it's required if you had a wind generator?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
IIRC, the transponder rule has to do with original certification, not mods... but you'll probably want to look that up if you want to know for sure.

No, the transponder (and ADS-B out) requirement only applies to aircraft with an engine driven electrical system.

Back