Can you change AME's during an SI period?

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
My AME is being difficult. Even tho my SI "authorizes" him to issue me a medical for 6 years he still is only willing to take my $100 and submit my reports to OKC ... which I can do myself for $90 less. I guess my problem is that the guy won't talk to me directly and his nurse is clueless when I talk to her about the process. I don't need the full exam, I just need him to read my status reports and review my lab results (which are all favorable and include the FAA preferred wording) and issue me a medical certificate. He hasn't even seen the info yet, he's just being difficult.

Is it possible to go to a new AME who's willing to actually *READ* the authorization letter and do what he's allowed to do? Or will I have to start all over?

Last edited:
It's your dollar and you have the right to visit any AME you so choose. If the current one is not being responsive and you believe he's not actually doing the job, seek out another. Find one that comes highly recommended in your area, preferably a senior AME. You have too much riding on what information you provide and he collects to let it slide.

Contact Bruce and he may be able to point you to someone in your area since you aren't far away.

After talking to the AOPA and finding out that the FAA's paper backlog is again 90+ days (it was under 45 back in the spring), I decided to let my fingers do the walking.

I found an AME who does a couple of SI's every year and he agreed to look at my paperwork. He was a bit apprehensive at first - and I think he wanted to see more than was necessary (but hey, he's got to cover his butt too), I was able to walk him through my authorization letter and get my medical in hand.

I like the guy so much, I'll be going back to him next year too. :)

Last edited:
Mike B, that's much of what I do for my complex airmen. All you have to do is ship the new AME a copy of the SI letter, and your required documentation.

That AME could even be me (fax machines work great), but there's gotta be a local guy who can do that. It is just about "unbreevable" that your guy won't do this. Sigh.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back