can you beat 2.99?

Go TKX! Can you still walk across the field to the McDonalds?

Not without a gun or two! McD's is still right there though.

Kennett is a truly dangerous small town. On a scale of 0 to 100, with 100 being the safest, Kennett scores a 3.

I stop to fill up when I'm in the area but I don't go anywhere off airport without very good cause.

Not without a gun or two! McD's is still right there though.

Kennett is a truly dangerous small town. On a scale of 0 to 100, with 100 being the safest, Kennett scores a 3.

I stop to fill up when I'm in the area but I don't go anywhere off airport without very good cause.

Wow....

Why is it such a bad neighborhood?...:dunno::dunno:

I'm from Kennett and still have many friends there. I'm also there frequently to visit. That is pure hyperbole about it being so dangerous. There is absolutely no problem with walking to the McDonald's from the airport unless you're doing it at 2am. In fact, you're pretty safe borrowing the courtesy car and driving it to the west side of town (short trip in a small town) to Bill's BBQ. The truth is there isn't anything between the airport and McDonalds. Walk up Airport Rd and east on 1st St (US-412). May be some traffic, but you don't even have to cross it to get to McDonalds.

While it may have some bad ratings and press, it really isn't so horrible. I don't know I've ever felt unsafe there, especially staying on the main thoroughfares and in public places. Sure, if you go off into the "bad" parts of town, the Section 8 housing or looking for trouble, you will find it. It is a typical rural economically depressed farming town.

I'm from Kennett and still have many friends there. I'm also there frequently to visit. That is pure hyperbole about it being so dangerous. There is absolutely no problem with walking to the McDonald's from the airport unless you're doing it at 2am. In fact, you're pretty safe borrowing the courtesy car and driving it to the west side of town (short trip in a small town) to Bill's BBQ. The truth is there isn't anything between the airport and McDonalds. Walk up Airport Rd and east on 1st St (US-412). May be some traffic, but you don't even have to cross it to get to McDonalds.

While it may have some bad ratings and press, it really isn't so horrible. I don't know I've ever felt unsafe there, especially staying on the main thoroughfares and in public places. Sure, if you go off into the "bad" parts of town, the Section 8 housing or looking for trouble, you will find it. It is a typical rural economically depressed farming town.

But it's the BOOT HEEL! (a.k.a., the part of Missouri that you could cut off and give to Arkansas, raising the collective IQ of both states) :D

Other than TKX, my only experience in Dunklin County was when I worked for the state courts administrator office and was on location in Kennett for 3 weeks. I lived.

I recall that the great seal of Missouri that was on prominent display in the main courtroom was missing a "C" from the roman numeral year, suggesting that Missouri became a state in 1720. This is the same seal described by Mark Twain as consisting of
two dissolute bears holding up the head of a dead and gone cask between them and making the pertinent remark, "UNITED, WE STAND--(hic!)--DIVIDED, WE FALL."

But it's the BOOT HEEL! (a.k.a., the part of Missouri that you could cut off and give to Arkansas, raising the collective IQ of both states) :D

There is good reason I don't live there now. It just isn't due to high it being a dangerous place. :goofy:

Wow....

Why is it such a bad neighborhood?...:dunno::dunno:

Actually the airport is in a good neighborhood...for Kennett.

@N3368K...a rating of 3 on a scale of 0 to 100 derived from the crime statistics isn't hyperbole. It's fact.

I avoid going off airport regardless of the time of day.

Please share. I'd like to see them. All I've seen are some articles which are largely opinion with some numbers thrown out as facts.

It appears all of the Bootheel is lacking, even Cape Girardeau, which rates only 6/100. Do you venture out anywhere?

With a crime rate of 52 per one thousand residents, Cape Girardeau has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 19. Within Missouri, more than 90% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Cape Girardeau.

I've never felt particularly unsafe in Kennett or Cape. Other than the airport, have you ever been to anywhere in Kennett?

Last edited:
I avoid most of Cape also. There's a shooting almost every week in Cape...and they're not just in certain areas. Cape is the beginning of "the south."

Jackson is a far nicer town and gets most of my business.

BTW...Cape's not in the bootheel! :)

For Kennett which I have heard is - The economy there is lacking. More than 7% of Kennett residents are out of work, and households bring in less than $30,000 a year. Schools are also way underfunded. Crime is way higher than the state average in Kennett. Residents have a 1 in 15 chance of being the victim of a property crime when within Kennett city limits every year.

For Kennett which I have heard is - The economy there is lacking. More than 7% of Kennett residents are out of work, and households bring in less than $30,000 a year. Schools are also way underfunded. Crime is way higher than the state average in Kennett. Residents have a 1 in 15 chance of being the victim of a property crime when within Kennett city limits every year.

Unfortunately, I can't disagree with any of that. It is typical small town farming community America. Not much industry and few good paying jobs. I suppose rising crime is just part of that. There is far more government housing there now that when I was a kid...which draws in problems.

I wouldn't want to live there again, but that is more due to the remoteness and lack of good job opportunity. My parents had an awesome little grass airport and old hangar just southwest of town, but the hangar was torn down and the whole place turned back to farmland several years ago when dad retired from aerial ag work. My siblings and I just recently sold our farm east of town (where my parents later lived and had an private strip as well) as we had all moved away...

...I never lived in town proper. We lived on our airport which had a rural Kennett address. Crime has certainly risen since I moved away in the early 80s. A few years after my dad (TKX airport manager briefly in the mid-60s) died and I had retired from the Army, mom moved to Sikeston (where a sister lives) and I had little chance to visit much. Over the last 4-5 years, I've been going back more and visiting friends, both flying and driving. I still have cousin's living in Kennett.

Despite the stats and criticism from folks who've spent little, if any time there, I have never felt unsafe there, especially during the day on the main thoroughfares and in businesses and restaurants. I still go to a couple local eateries, Alford's BBQ and Bill's BBQ (west side of town) and Caubie's Bakery (south of the square) frequently to meet and eat with friends. Great food and great times and I've never been a victim of any crime.

The cheap gas is always a good excuse to go!

Spotted auto fuel at $1.319 recently.

Makes me wonder if we're going to see less than $1.00 before this is over.

Despite the stats and criticism from folks who've spent little, if any time there,

I assume this refers to me...

I spent over a month there correcting issues at the O'Reilly Auto Parts store because the landlord had done such shoddy work.

Yes, I've spent plenty of time there!

I spent over a month there correcting issues at the O'Reilly Auto Parts store because the landlord had done such shoddy work.

If I ever build a new office/warehouse/production facility, I'm calling you down here to bid on it.

How many times were you robbed, victimized or assaulted? I'm guessing you weren't murdered. :rolleyes:

...and whaddya expect from O'Reilly's? :goofy:

I stayed in the good part of town, Dexter, and even that was questionable! :)

I stayed in the good part of town, Dexter, and even that was questionable! :)

I've had to spend the night in Kennett hotels twice. Once during a reunion and once while overnighting on business. Both options were run down and bad. I do my best not to spend the night there for that reason.

Do you like BBQ? We need to plan on meeting in Kennett some Saturday and I'll take you to Bill's. You can ride shotgun as we maneuver across town avoiding blocked ambushes. :yikes::dunno:

Last edited:
Sure, when all the parts of my plane are once again in one state and assembles, we'll have to do that!

Back