Can we put the myth that singles are as safe as twins to bed now?

And if Dave lost the boots on the way out of BJC that day, things could have been quite different. He probably thinks a little about that too.

Weather can get anyone if the right circumstances conspire.

That's one of the contingencies you need to think about and be ready for. I'm not familiar with the King Air's de-ice system, but on the 310 you have two vacuum pumps for power. Single point failures include the on/off switch (x2, one for boots and one for props, we'll forget about pitot heat), prop heat controller, relay for boots, solenoid for boots.

Your out is dependent on the situation. I had the prop heat controller fail on the 310 leaving CYYT last year. 5,000 ft thick layer with moderate icing. Kept the props at 2700 RPM (they were there anyway, faster sheds more ice) and kept on my initial plan of climb through it as fast as possible. Dave's case it would have other factors. Basically, it's something to always have an out for, like everything in flying.

There are many variables in the debate. Unfortunately, there are no direct comparisons of equipment v performance v mission profile with sufficient flight hours to determine statistically if either is truly safer.

A couple years ago, someone was throwing around the term "risk homologation" to which I threw the BS flag and I'm also throwing in this matter. You can't fairly compare the safety of the two when your tests are not equal.

You can advertise anything. Actually sold one lately? I have seen one of each sell locally in 2013. Both average flying examples. D95 was on market for 2 months and went for 56k (ouch I have 3x that in mine). 337 was on market for years and went for 17k.

That does not make any sense. Are you claiming that different types have different advertised price / price sold for ratio? The market does not work like this.

There was one P337 for sale at my home field last year. Sold in two weeks. Got the full asking price even with high time engines. $96K. YMMV.

There are plenty of Travel Airs that have been for sale for years.

Good planes sell. Junk stays listed. Type does not matter.

What's to tell? If you learned to drive in a gremlin would you consider it a good car ?

I learned to drive in a car much worse than Gremlin. I still cherish the memories though. There must be more story to it.

Well, I would say part 25 twins are safer than singles... I was just as nervous flying over the mountains in a Seminole as I was a 182. Actually more when you add the undesirable characteristics that go along with flying a part 23 twin on one engine adds to an already dire emergency. But in the Lear, it is safer because it can easily fly on one engine.

That's one of the contingencies you need to think about and be ready for. I'm not familiar with the King Air's de-ice system, but on the 310 you have two vacuum pumps for power. Single point failures include the on/off switch (x2, one for boots and one for props, we'll forget about pitot heat), prop heat controller, relay for boots, solenoid for boots.

Your out is dependent on the situation. I had the prop heat controller fail on the 310 leaving CYYT last year. 5,000 ft thick layer with moderate icing. Kept the props at 2700 RPM (they were there anyway, faster sheds more ice) and kept on my initial plan of climb through it as fast as possible. Dave's case it would have other factors. Basically, it's something to always have an out for, like everything in flying.

The boots on the 90 use bleed air but the solenoid that controls the air to the boots in sequence and puts a vacuum on them when not in use could be a single point failure. I am sure he has dual pitots. I believe on a 90 the intake deice may be bleed air, not sure. On the Cheyenne that too is electric and works in conjunction with the prop heat. The timer can go bad on the prop heat again being a single point failure. I have had one brush go bad causing a problem. It is near impossible to prevent every single point failure. Even in a turbine I wanted out of the ice as soon as practical. As Ted and others have said the FIKI gives you an out.

Back