Can there be More?

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Well, the avionics company called and said the upgrades are done and test flown; just awaiting the "337" paperwork to come back from the FAA. However, during the flight it was noted that the compass is shot, and the D.G. is very sluggish. One needs to be replaced; and so should the other.

It seems both are the original pieces(November 1970).

Are those normal burnout times?

HR

If cash flow was tight at the moment:

RE Compass...I take it the folks are not talking about a leaking compass which would need to get repaired. That said, do magnets wear out? From the what I think I know department...if the compass can't be swung within several degrees (maybe 10 is the number) it has to be replaced. Meaning, you can have corrections on your compass correction card of several degrees and the compass is still "good".

RE: Sluggish DG...if you are doing VFR stuff I would replace the DG at failure, eminent failure (that is you hear it making lots of noise) or once the precessing got on my nerves too much. That said if it was the attitude indicator as opposed to the DG I would replace the AI if it was taking "long" to erect or was otherwise acting funky cause they come in handy during the hazy summer when it is technically VFR.

If you are going to start working on your instrument rating or if cash flow is not tight, might as well replace what needs to be replaced sooner rather than later (you'll have them to use and enjoy for a long time). You might want to fly a bit with the compass and DG to see what the avionics fellow is talking about before making a determination of what needs to be done.

When I replaced my attitude indicator I went with a back lit unit. It cost a bit more but by wiring it on a different circuit then the panel lights I get a bit of redundancy. You might want to consider the same for your DG and compass.

Len

Lawreston said:

Seems to me after 36 years pretty much any component of a piece of machinery has lived a useful life.

Lawreston said:
Well, the avionics company called and said the upgrades are done and test flown; just awaiting the "337" paperwork to come back from the FAA. However, during the flight it was noted that the compass is shot, and the D.G. is very sluggish. One needs to be replaced; and so should the other.

HR

Does the FAA send anything back from a 337 submission if its been approved? I've never gotten anything back.

Witmo said:
Does the FAA send anything back from a 337 submission if its been approved? I've never gotten anything back.

Depends on what it is.

I've gotten a number of 337s back, particularly for avionics.

Ken Ibold said:
Seems to me after 36 years pretty much any component of a piece of machinery has lived a useful life.

Thanks,Len and Ken:

Both, the D.G. and compass shall be replaced; convenient, while she's already in the next state(NH). Plane expected to be ready by the end of next week. There's a summer comin'; and have to meet with Dan Smith while he ties down at Wiscasset. Maybe, dinner at Brown's Wharf, considering he'll be in Boothbay Hahbah for the summer.

HR

Attachments

• Boothbay Harbor(collage)0001.JPG
    Boothbay Harbor(collage)0001.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 11
  • KenBrownsPlace.jpg
    KenBrownsPlace.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Harley:

Sounds like the right choice to me. I agree with His Safetyness; you've gotten your moneys' worth.

OBTW, you are near Prout's Neck, right? Old family zone there, aunt / great aunt kept "cottage" there (in quotes because, so far as I know, my definition of "cottage" does not include three story houses). I recall going there, carrying in coal from the coal bin for the stove, going out first morning after arriving with my aunt for "brisk morning swim," feeling water. THis was thirty six or so years ago, and I think I still feel the pain of that first touch to the "warm" Maine water.

SCCutler said:
Harley:

Sounds like the right choice to me. I agree with His Safetyness; you've gotten your moneys' worth.

OBTW, you are near Prout's Neck, right? Old family zone there, aunt / great aunt kept "cottage" there (in quotes because, so far as I know, my definition of "cottage" does not include three story houses). I recall going there, carrying in coal from the coal bin for the stove, going out first morning after arriving with my aunt for "brisk morning swim," feeling water. THis was thirty six or so years ago, and I think I still feel the pain of that first touch to the "warm" Maine water.

I live just across the river from Brunswick(Naval Air Station location). Portland is a 30 min. drive South from here; Prout's Neck is a bit South of Portland.

My plane is at Wiscasset IWI, 26sm from home, and headin' to da Nort'. Might you like to come up heah for my hangar party/fly-in which I'm planning for July or August?

HR (expecting the avionics upgrades to be done in a few days)

Lawreston said:
I live just across the river from Brunswick(Naval Air Station location). Portland is a 30 min. drive South from here; Prout's Neck is a bit South of Portland.

My plane is at Wiscasset IWI, 26sm from home, and headin' to da Nort'. Might you like to come up heah for my hangar party/fly-in which I'm planning for July or August?

HR (expecting the avionics upgrades to be done in a few days)

There can be no doubt that I'd LIKE to, but what I'd like, and what I can afford, are two entirely different critters.

My son still wants me to take him to OSH... and if I did that, and did not stop in at EdFred's Magical Reopening Airport Extravaganza, I'd be toast.

And, I need my own plane, so I can fly all these places worrying less about Hobbs time.

But I'll put it on the calendar. Stranger things have happened (for instance, a good-looking woman married *me*; of course, there was alcohol involved).

/s/ Spike

Back