Can the PIC/Captain perform weddings in flight?

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
So I know that, just like sea captains, the captain of an aircraft has some special powers (can enforce the laws of the country where the plane is registered, for example). And I also know that aviation and nautical law have common roots.

First of all, can sea captains of ships registered in the US perform weddings? Does it matter where the ship is registered? Moreover, can PICs/Captains also perform weddings?

What do you think?

Um, Felix, is there something that you wanted to tell us? :)

Plus, would the pilot be bound by any state laws? How about the laws abot the definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman?

The answer is yes, but like the nuptials on ski-club busses, the marriages are automatically annulled on Monday morning. Or whenever you get back from Vegas.

Um, Felix, is there something that you wanted to tell us? :)
Heh. I'm just wondering, mostly because a friend of mine told me that sea captains of US registered ships don't actually have this power and that it's a myth....

thats true, the whole boat captain thing is a myth, and thanks to the Office now everyone probably thinks its true again.

The answer is yes, but like the nuptials on ski-club busses, the marriages are automatically annulled on Monday morning. Or whenever you get back from Vegas.

Unless, of course, you consummate the union during the flight. :yikes: Then it's all legal. (no, it's really not)

Actually, it depends.

U.S. law explicitly does not allow ships' masters or aviators to solemnize marriages by virtue of their status.

However, a marriage that is legally performed by a captain of a ship or aircraft registered to a nation which does allow captains to solemnize marriages, which conforms to that nation's laws in all respects, and which does not take place in U.S. territory, will be presumed valid in the United States.

Its validity could, however, be challenged if it were alleged that the intent of performing the ceremony abroad was to circumvent laws that would have prevented the marriage from taking place in the United States.

At least, that was the case when I was in college. I had to take a course about law as it relates to churches and charities, and there was a whole section on marriage law.

-Rich

"... You may now kiss the..... one moment, please. "Ft. Worth Center Marriage Flight 123 is crossing over the field at 5,000ft inbound for runway xx"..... Ok, You may now kiss the bride."

:D:D:D:D

"... You may now kiss the..... one moment, please. "Ft. Worth Center Marriage Flight 123 is crossing over the field at 5,000ft inbound for runway xx"..... Ok, You may now kiss the bride."

:D:D:D:D
That reminds me of this NavCanada clip on liveatc.net from a few years ago. Controller proposed over the air. Very nice..... :)

Outside of anything else, you'd have problems doing this on a airliner. The captain is not allowed to leave the cockpit other than for "physiological needs" (i.e., going to pee), and passengers aren't allowed in the cockpit. Thus, you'd have to do it over the intercom.

Outside of anything else, you'd have problems doing this on a airliner. The captain is not allowed to leave the cockpit other than for "physiological needs" (i.e., going to pee), and passengers aren't allowed in the cockpit. Thus, you'd have to do it over the intercom.

Not according to a story we were told yesterday.

Here's the rule:
14 CFR 91.105 said:
(a) During takeoff and landing, and while en route, each required flight crewmember shall—
(1) Be at the crewmember station unless the absence is necessary to perform duties in connection with the operation of the aircraft or in connection with physiological needs;
Unless peforming a wedding constitutes a "dut[y] in connection with the operation of the aircraft" (which I doubt the FAA would so consider), it would not be permitted for the captain to leave the cockpit for that purpose.

That was different.

How? I'm not sure, but somehow, it was different, just look at the way the non-pilot member was treated by those that disagreed with him.

That was a sad, sorry thread for sure.

Here's the rule:
Unless peforming a wedding constitutes a "dut[y] in connection with the operation of the aircraft" (which I doubt the FAA would so consider), it would not be permitted for the captain to leave the cockpit for that purpose.

How does that work on part 121 flights with 3+ pilots?

I would assume, in the case of a required Flight Engineer, he'd be required to stay at his station.

For other cases, such as a relief crew, the PIC is required crewmember, and cannot leave to perform the marriage. The backup PIC is not the PIC and wouldn't then have the authority to perform the marriage, right?

That is, of course, assuming a PIC has that authority to begin with.

If the crewmember's on duty, then s/he must be at his/her station no matter how many pilots are required to be on duty, with only the exceptions noted. And if the person isn't on duty, then s/he's not the Captain.

I would assume, in the case of a required Flight Engineer, he'd be required to stay at his station.
Right -- it says "crewmember," not just "pilot."
For other cases, such as a relief crew, the PIC is required crewmember, and cannot leave to perform the marriage. The backup PIC is not the PIC and wouldn't then have the authority to perform the marriage, right?
Right, assuming such authority exists in the first place.

Not too long ago, a couple of pilots decided to get married at a local airport. Arrangements were made with state officials to allow a friend (pilot) to officiate at the wedding. This was a one-time arrangement. He is not authorized to perform any other marriages. http://www.meetup.com/NEPilotsGroup/calendar/10325937/

Just sign up and become a minister in the Universal Life Church. Or does that still exist? They'd ordain anyone who paid the fee. :D

Felix, I'm pretty sure if you asked Sharon nicely, she'd help you out....

Just sign up and become a minister in the Universal Life Church. Or does that still exist? They'd ordain anyone who paid the fee. :D

I was ordained for free, and yep, they still do it :D

I think some states let you sign up as a "Marriage Commissioner" for a one-time marriage for the appropriate fee too.

First of all, can sea captains of ships registered in the US perform weddings? Does it matter where the ship is registered? Moreover, can PICs/Captains also perform weddings?

What do you think?

A captain can do any damn thing they please :D

Whether anyone else will legally recognize it is an entirely different question altogether..

Well, I'm an ordained minister. Well do we leave?

(And can I fly the airplane for a while? Please?)

-Rich

I got my ordination through ULC as well, I am trying to find a way to cash in on wedding holidays, any suggestions?

Back