Can the Garmin GTN's have approaches to multiple airports in flight plan?

The GTN didn't fix your complaint, but it sure as hell made it a lot easier to do. Now for what, less than $1000 you can fix it yourself with an iPad. Just set up the follow on procedure in the iPad on Garmin Pilot ready to go, and use Flight Stream to load it up. The nifty thing is this works on your current GNS box as well.

That's Garmin's marketing strategy --- why you need to buy a second Garmin GPS. ;)

Anyone checkout the new BK 770 with regards to how this works?

The BK-770 is far from "new" it's been around well over a decade now. Has anyone actually seen one in the wild? Have they actually started selling them yet?

Interesting. Garmin doesn't have a secondary flight plan or an Alternate page?

I'm use to flying FMS (Honeywell and Thales) and that's just standard stuff. I wouldn't think software wise it would be that big of a deal.

Those are Part 25 FMSes.

The equivalent Garmin, the G-5000, has a "standby" flight plan in addition to the active flight plan and a flight plan catalog of (I believe) 20 stored flight plans.

The GTN didn't fix your complaint, but it sure as hell made it a lot easier to do. Now for what, less than $1000 you can fix it yourself with an iPad. Just set up the follow on procedure in the iPad on Garmin Pilot ready to go, and use Flight Stream to load it up. The nifty thing is this works on your current GNS box as well.
I like this solution just about enough to keep the GNS box. I like the ability of the GNS box to swap cards between units. I do not like the proprietary nature of Garmin forcing use of their EFB for this functionality, not offering an option paying for software release to include airways in the GNS box, i-things, etc. Isnt the flight stream more than 1K? I thought it required a couple boxes to get working.

I like this solution just about enough to keep the GNS box. I like the ability of the GNS box to swap cards between units. I do not like the proprietary nature of Garmin forcing use of their EFB for this functionality, not offering an option paying for software release to include airways in the GNS box, i-things, etc. Isnt the flight stream more than 1K? I thought it required a couple boxes to get working.

I'm not sure, I had seen that number quoted elsewhere. It is the solution for the GNS boxes.

The BK-770 is far from "new" it's been around well over a decade now. Has anyone actually seen one in the wild? Have they actually started selling them yet?

The concept may have been around a while, but the certification happened in 2014. They started selling them late 2014. From what I have been told, sales are light.

I had a demo of the unit in the Fall with the BK northeast sales rep. I was holding out hope that the 770 would have been a gorilla killer since it's open hierarchy would have worked well with my Aspens.

Unfortunately the Aspen built interface just doesn't work for a Nav Com. Too many layers to make things happen.

The concept may have been around a while, but the certification happened in 2014. They started selling them late 2014. From what I have been told, sales are light.

I had a demo of the unit in the Fall with the BK northeast sales rep. I was holding out hope that the 770 would have been a gorilla killer since it's open hierarchy would have worked well with my Aspens.

Unfortunately the Aspen built interface just doesn't work for a Nav Com. Too many layers to make things happen.

I would never buy another BK product, they really don't care about the GA market.

I would never buy another BK product, they really don't care about the GA market.

The relationship between Honeywell and BK is strange. I wouldn't be surprised to see BK spun off and sold to someone.

The relationship between Honeywell and BK is strange. I wouldn't be surprised to see BK spun off and sold to someone.

Who would buy it?:dunno: It's basically worthless. They bought out a third party to gain technology that is now basically obsolete, and have lost millions in the process with no foreseeable recapture. Now that Garmin is going for the big plane market, it'll be interesting to see what the future holds there.

That's not the only purpose for it having more than one in the flight plan. Here's a common training and potential real life scenario:

You have just gone missed and are in the MAHold. You decide a different approach to the same airport would be a better option. The IAF for the other approach is very close to the MAHold, so you don't have a lot of time to set up Direct to the new IAF, remove the current approach and load the new one.

The way the Garmins (except perhaps the 480) currently work, you cannot load the second approach while the current approach remains active; you can only activate it as a replacement. That means, for example, you can't set up for the second and keep the MAHold as an active waypoint with the next approach ready to go.

There are some work-arounds, but none of them are particularly satisfying (to me anyway).

The indicator for the GNS does not progress to the next fix until you activate the next FP. Fly the needle and set up for the next approach fix. What is the big deal?

How about flying the ILS or VOR approach at the next airport? I always liked to fly the missed using the DG and VOR because I never like messing with the GPS below the MEA. Be careful, this sort of thing has caused some fatals. Don't get hooked on that magenta line. Fly the airplane, not the GPS.

Professional pilots have a "time budget". Sounds like you should too. You need so many minutes of straight and level flight to do your task (experiment around with it and find out how long you need). Tell ATC to vector you so that you can fit it in. Request a climb to above the MVA/MEA straight and level of X minutes for approach preparation.

Carry plenty of fuel.

You are right to be concerned. Indicates you are a pretty good pilot...

Last edited:
Back