Can someone explain what the "Arrival" freq. is in Canada?

Bravo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bravo
I may be flying into CYMX this week and noticed a frequency called "Arrival". There is also an Approach freq. listed on Foreflight. Whats the deal?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I may be flying into CYMX this week and noticed a frequency called "Arrival". There is also an Approach freq. listed on Foreflight. Whats the deal?

It's the same thing as "approach".

It's the same thing as "approach".

Thanks. I noticed the Arrival freq. was listed on the approach chart and kind of assumed that as well, but Foreflight also lists a seperate approach freq.,so I wasnt sure if one took priority over another?

From the pilots perspective it's no big deal but the arrival controller (AR) is a completely different position than approach. It's exactly what the name implies. They work arrivals to the airport. It's a position that could have its own sectorized air space or could be just an at or below altitude. If you're inbound and arrival is open, approach will hand you off to them and they'll sequence you in. Usually a position to get signed off on and then start training on approach.

Thanks. I noticed the Arrival freq. was listed on the approach chart and kind of assumed that as well, but Foreflight also lists a seperate approach freq.,so I wasnt sure if one took priority over another?

I realize that Foreflight has become the Swiss army knife of aviation, but you must realize that when a third party gets involved in the transmission of information that third party can decide what to provide and how to provide it. Stick to government publications when push comes to shove.

Bob Gardner

To give you an idea of the handoff sequence, this is the sequence of an IFR flight from Red Deer last Saturday:

Coming in IFR to CYBW (Calgary, Springbank) from the west, north west or south west you will talk to: 1. Edmonton Centre (132.85) , 2. Calgary Terminal (west - 128.7), 3. CYBW outer tower (118.2), 4. CYBW inner tower (120.7), 5 ground (121.8.

Leaving CYBW IFR you will talk to Ground (for clearance), inner tower, Calgary Departures (124.52), Edmonton Centre.

Note the difference in nomenclature between "Calgary Terminal - west" and "Calgary Departures" as different ATC people/teams manage inbound and outbound flows. If you were to fly in to Calgary International (CYYC), instead of Terminal you might be handed off to talk to "Calgary Terminal East" (on 119.4) but would probably talk to Calgary Arrivals.

Finally, Calgary International has a separate clearance frequency if I recall correctly.

To give you an idea of the handoff sequence, this is the sequence of an IFR flight from Red Deer last Saturday:

Coming in IFR to CYBW (Calgary, Springbank) from the west, north west or south west you will talk to: 1. Edmonton Centre (132.85) , 2. Calgary Terminal (west - 128.7), 3. CYBW outer tower (118.2), 4. CYBW inner tower (120.7), 5 ground (121.8.

Leaving CYBW IFR you will talk to Ground (for clearance), inner tower, Calgary Departures (124.52), Edmonton Centre.

Note the difference in nomenclature between "Calgary Terminal - west" and "Calgary Departures" as different ATC people/teams manage inbound and outbound flows. If you were to fly in to Calgary International (CYYC), instead of Terminal you might be handed off to talk to "Calgary Terminal East" (on 119.4) but would probably talk to Calgary Arrivals.

Finally, Calgary International has a separate clearance frequency if I recall correctly.
We fly into Calgary International quite a bit. They do have a separate clearance frequency. They also have separate frequencies for the east runway 118.87 and the west runway 118.4. I haven't used either of the crossing runways since they opened the new east runway. The sequence when arriving at CYYC IFR is Edmonton Center (OK, Centre), Calgary Arrival, Calgary Tower.

Last edited:
Back